Skimmer or Not?

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi every one

I have a question and I'm sure many people at some point has talk about this, it's my skimmer... yes mi skimmer!
I have an octopus skimmer however I'm debating myself on the decision of use it or not use it, I notice my corals was doing little better before I had running the skimmer, is this means that my skimmer is taking away to much of nutrients from the water?
Some how I'm having difficulty maintaining the PH at a good level i'm dosing now some buffer to raise the PH to 8.2...any sugestions about possible causes, as I also mention my corals some are turning hard and it's driving me crazy, what you guys thing ?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 parameters.

Do you skim wet or dry? You can skim dry and run your air intake for your skimmer close to a window to add fresh and more oxygenated air to your tank. This will cut down on CO2 added to your tank (air you breathe) which lowers pH, therefore increasing your pH. I do this and get anywhere from a .2-.4 increase

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 parameters.

Do you skim wet or dry? You can skim dry and run your air intake for your skimmer close to a window to add fresh and more oxygenated air to your tank. This will cut down on CO2 added to your tank (air you breathe) which lowers pH, therefore increasing your pH. I do this and get anywhere from a .2-.4 increase
I submerge my skimmer completely on the sump, of course standing straight and cup is not underwater, when I say completely I mean the pump part and is submerge about 6 inches

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I submerge my skimmer completely on the sump, of course standing straight and cup is not underwater, when I say completely I mean the pump part and is submerge about 6 inches
This is my little quick fix. Plants absorb CO2 and release oxygen. In theory, this helps oxygenate water through skimmer air intake.

10CA1C48-2060-4574-9999-79062D4F3AFD.jpeg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please check the water you are being sold tds should read close to zero and as a reefer you should be mixing your own salt!!!
She said it’s mixed at the LFS. So it’s impossible to know the source water TDS unless checked before mixing. I’m always weary of LFS water anyway...

Fairechio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs keep salinty at 31 to 32 ppt to keep cost down plus I tested once and the ones by me are was basically tap water with the tds reading cut cost on filters it's sad but alot of small businesses do things like this

Fairechio16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said rodi units and salt mixes are the real heart beat of this filters and tech help with the amount of water changes you need good water in at 1st

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs keep salinty at 31 to 32 ppt to keep cost down plus I tested once and the ones by me are was basically tap water with the tds reading cut cost on filters it's sad but alot of small businesses do things like this
I been considering mix it myself as I have seen many different people working at the store and that situation doesn’t make me feel comfortable at all on who is mixing the water

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add from the same water I bought at the reef store, but some times I use tap water with some water conditioner but very seldom
I hope you’re not topping off with saltwater. That just adds more salt each time. Also, tap water is dangerous in so many ways. I’d look into a RODI system ASAP. Also, you can use distilled water for top offs. Any grocery store should have.

OP
OP
Marie7

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been considering mix it myself as I have seen many different people working at the store and that situation doesn’t make me feel comfortable at all on who is mixing the water
I always bought the water in the same place but lately the so many new people makes me feel weird

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back