Skimmer output to next compartment

VagoTomi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I was wondering if it makes any difference if I plumb my skimmer's water outlet in a way that it flows to the next compartment of the sump, instead of going back to the same one. My thought process is that there wouldn't be any recirculated water and the efficiency would be better as it wouldn't dilute the "dirty compartment" with the cleaned water.
Probably I'm not the first one who thought about it, so let me know your experience.
Thanks

Last edited:

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely could! You would just have to make sure the water in the sump is leveled correctly, or at least to what you want it to be. In regards of it being more efficient, I doubt it will make a significant difference in filtration, since the water in the sump is constantly flowing even if it seems like a slow current.

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would have much of an effect and wouldn't likely be worth the effort. Alot of people run recirculating skimmers and to some degree there more effective.

OP
OP
V

VagoTomi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably it’s not a coincidence that not many people have it plumbed the way I described :)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, it doesn't really matter because the water is flowing through your sump at a pretty quick pace. No different than doing AWCs and pulling from the same section of the sump that you are returning new water.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back