Skimmer outside line filter?

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finally got around to running a line from my skimmer to the outside of my house. Any suggestions on a filter or something to keep bugs out?

Also any other things to look out for when you have a line to the outside of the house to skimmer?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would DIY some kind of PVC housing using some items from one of the local hardware stores. You'll have to get a little creative. Try using some filter floss in combination with granular activated carbon. The carbon should help with reducing chances of pesticides, or other chemicals from getting drawn into the skimmer lines from outside if that is a risk in the your local area. The filter floss is to help keep the carbon seperated and from being drawn in by the vacuum of the skimmer line and stop bugs or other pests from entering the lines. Hope that helps with the project if not already sorted, or at least getting some starting ideas. Happy reefing. :)

OP
OP
Mmcghee102485

Mmcghee102485

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would DIY some kind of PVC housing using some items from one of the local hardware stores. You'll have to get a little creative. Try using some filter floss in combination with granular activated carbon. The carbon should help with reducing chances of pesticides, or other chemicals from getting drawn into the skimmer lines from outside if that is a risk in the your local area. The filter floss is to help keep the carbon seperated and from being drawn in by the vacuum of the skimmer line and stop bugs or other pests from entering the lines. Hope that helps with the project if not already sorted, or at least getting some starting ideas. Happy reefing. :)

thank you! I was able to search some forums on here and get some ideas. Still haven’t made the trip to Home Depot to get the material for filter. I don’t really have to worry about pesticides unless it’s myself. I’m on a pretty secluded lot.
I was surprised however that my ph did not really increase much with the line outside. I’m not sure if it has anything to do with the line being 100ft long? This is just temporary till I know exactly where the outside line will go then I will cut to size( it’s currently just out of a window in the basement) do you think the length of the line would have anything to do with not really showing much of an increase in ph?
Again thanks for your knowledge and reply!

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The length of the line shouldn't have any affect on the PH. I would however make sure there is no blockage and/or kinks in the line (Just something to consider). On my set-up I have long lengths of line coiled up and I know air is being drawn in with no issues. Just note that I don't worry about PH anymore, but focus on the other parameters. I just know that pulling fresh air from outside has some benefit, considering our home is pretty sealed up and has 4 people/3 dogs contributing to CO2 levels within the home. ;)

Just making sure chasing high PH is not an overly exerted goal for the system being ran. :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back