SKIMMER OVERFLOW CAUSING AMMONIA SPIKE?????

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simmer overflow last night, didn't think much of it but decided to check ammonia levels this morning and it spiked to 2.0 from 0.

since bacteria is established and went through the nitrite-nitrate cycle, would the ammonia harmless as in less toxic to fish??? I'll be doing a 50% water change later today so this is more of a general question

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at it this way - your skimmer didn’t add ammonia, but it probably overflowed because of it (ie whatever waste / death that caused that ammonia increase). I’d look elsewhere to find the source.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at it this way - your skimmer didn’t add ammonia, but it probably overflowed because of it (ie whatever waste / death that caused that ammonia increase). I’d look elsewhere to find the source.
not possible, my ammonia was at zero yesterday before the overflow. everything is still alive in my tank.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer overflowing will not cause an ammonia spike.

Heck I've dumped my skimmate back into the tank to increase nitrates/phosphates before, but it has never caused an ammonia spike.

I would recheck that ammonia level. If everything is alive, and does not seem to be struggling, then it is a false reading. AT 2ppm ammonia, things would start to look like death in the tank.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer overflowing will not cause an ammonia spike.

Heck I've dumped my skimmate back into the tank to increase nitrates/phosphates before, but it has never caused an ammonia spike.

I would recheck that ammonia level. If everything is alive, and does not seem to be struggling, then it is a false reading. AT 2ppm ammonia, things would start to look like death in the tank.
That’s what it was, a false reading. The skimmer over flowing was the only thing out of the ordinary.

Nice to know it’s safe to put skimmate back in the tank. I was about to over feed this week to bump my nitrates a little

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what it was, a false reading. The skimmer over flowing was the only thing out of the ordinary.

Nice to know it’s safe to put skimmate back in the tank. I was about to over feed this week to bump my nitrates a little
Or turn your skimmer down, win, win.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back