Skimmer Overflow, What Do You Do ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 427HISS
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2013
Messages
3,156
Reaction score
929
Location
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine overflow for various reasons. What do you do ? I've had a line run from the top of my skimmer back down to the sump, which saves your floor/carpet from having many gallons of water to clean up. Or run a line back down to your sump, which sucks as all that crappy stinky stuff gets back in circulation !

So, what's your brilliant idea for a guy that doesn't have money for all the nice expensive electronics to keep away from this event happening.
 
I've had mine overflow for various reasons. What do you do ? I've had a line run from the top of my skimmer back down to the sump, which saves your floor/carpet from having many gallons of water to clean up. Or run a line back down to your sump, which sucks as all that crappy stinky stuff gets back in circulation !

So, what's your brilliant idea for a guy that doesn't have money for all the nice expensive electronics to keep away from this event happening.
Maybe a skimmer locker.

https://www.avastmarine.com/products/djsl
If your handy you can make one.
It would need a float valve in a jug and the skimmer plugged into an outlet that trips off with the float valve.
 
I took a large(ish) Tupperware sugar/flour container and drilled two holes in the lid. The first hole took skimmate from the cup. The second hole was for air displacement. When my wife complained about the smell, I put a small Tupperware container on top of the second hole, drilling the bottom of the small container, attaching it to the top of the larger container with a small length of tubing. Filled with carbon. Then, of course yet another hole through the small Tupperware lid to let out air. $10 (Really, it was no cost, cuz I had everything I needed lying around). Didn't bother with a float switch as it was a big container and took quite a while to fill. I just looked underneath every few days. Worked for years.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new