Skimmer Overflow

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a dose of Chemi-clean to my tank (used less than called for) and of course my skimmer went crazy. Open the skimmer all the way, and it still literally filled my Red Sea 350 Reefer cabinet with foam. It actually flowed out of the cabinet and onto my floor. I drained all the water from the sump and did a 25% water change in the display tank. I then let the tank run for 24hrs with out the skimmer and with the carbon reactor running. Turned the skimmer back on last night before I went to bed. Got up this morning and found more water on the floor. Open the cabinet and it's filled (not as bad) with foam again. This is what is spilling over the sides of the sump and leaking out onto the floor.
I've used Chemi-clean before, but the results were never this bad. I would wait 48hrs and do a 20% water change and was good to go for another month.
With the exception of one less Yellow Tang, nothing has changed in my 8 month old tank. Any advise ?

nukemdanno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd dial the skimmer way back and babysit the collection cup. Keep emptying it as it produces. I run an old school Euro Reef and on occasion when this happens I pull the riser completely off and the skimmer will still overflow but its easier to keep up with.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran chemiclean, I ended up routing the skimmate to a 5 gallon bucket, with another bucket of makeup saltwater on hand to replace it. After about 2 buckets it became more manageable

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy, That can't be how they meant their product be used, It did a GREAT job of clearing junk grass algae and the water was super clear. Now same jar of product, completely different story

nukemdanno

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just out of curiosity you didn't happen to put a brand new fresh out of the bag filter sock in? I forgot to wash a new sock off once and that set the skimmer off bad

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I rotate the filters as usual every 3 days or when obviusly dirty.

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemi-clean a few times in the past and always had similar experience every time I used it, I was never able to run the skimmer without overflowing even when it is opened all the way. Had to wait until the treatment is finished, did 25% water change and even then couldn't run the skimmer for a week or so afterward without skimmer overflowing.

OP
OP
R

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thar's been my story exactly, with some not so minor overflowing accidents. The stuff works good at what's it's supposed to do, but the consequences are hard to justify. Is there another product that does a comparable clean up job without the side effects ?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back