View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo,
Got a good one here today.
Starters:
90g with 80# LR
Eshoppes sump with refugium (macros and bio)
Single filter sock
UV sterilizer
Carbon and GFO sack in filter sock

I recently sold my 55g with which my Reef Octo 110-S skimmer.
I upsized my skimmer after the sale to a 150-SSS.

The 110 was performing really well, was getting dense skimmate changing full collection cups weekly. Now with the 150, I'm getting nothing. The skimmer is bubbling in the chamber and all but not producing any actual waste, just clean clear water in the cup. I honestly am new and am certainly not an authority on skimmers (hence the post) but I do figure that weeks of monkeying with the intake setting that I would have some...any result. Still nothing. Naturally, my first thought is oversize, not sure if that's a possible reality. I did break the skimmer down, clearer the tube, rinsed the pump, etc but no change.
Any help would be appreciated here, I do have a coral community that I would really like to keep healthy and don't want to replace my skimmer as I'm hoping there's a some solution here.
Photos attached (salt creep everywhere)

Thanks in advance!
IMG_20211207_000457505.jpg
IMG_20211207_000457505.jpg

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the new skimmer (the 150) BRAND new? If so, it will take a few days for that skimmer to break in. It's a function of the mold-release compounds they use in the manufacture of acrylic.

If it's not brand new, and has already broken in, have you added anything to the water that would reduce surface tension? For example, anything that is high in oil? Or any soap/surfactants (maybe from when you were cleaning equipment prior to installation)?

One other note ... it's hard to see from the photos, but where is the running water level in your skimmer? The photo makes it look like the water level is above the neck of the skimmer, but that wouldn't make sense because the skimmer would have to be running but the photo doesn't show any bubbles in the main chamber (or anywhere else) ... are you sure the pump is getting air from the silencer all the way down to the inlet on the pump suction?

If you could send some more photos of the unit while it is running and clearly show what the main reaction chamber looks like and where the water level is I might be more helpful.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How new is the tank?

New tanks won't have any bioload for the larger skimmer to pull out. Also as said above, brand new skimmers need time to "break in" and wear off any residue from manufacturing.

OP
OP
S

stcroixohana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gents,
Briefly.
The tank is 6 months old, was cycled and stabilized off my smaller 55g, houses 8 fish.

After posting last night, I broke the skimmer down (to the nuts) and cleaned and cleared everything. I think the impeller was clogged with some algae and noticed intake on the hose tube thing was not getting light through it.
I'm skimming all kinds of poop and pee now.
Thanks for jumping in.

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 150sss is rated for heavy bio load at 75 gal. That skimmer is way oversized for a 55 gal tank. You don’t have enough nutrients to fuel the skimmer likely.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the brand ratings are mostly fake. Except maybe the ones from BK, I have a RO 110 int on a 25g skimming just fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back