Skimmer Problems

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an Aquamaxx ConeS RC-3 skimmer for my system. It has been setup and running for over 6 months now. No matter how I tuned it or whatever I do I always end up with bubbles all over my sump. I have tried putting oil around the top and sides, tuning it to the lowest setting, and raising the height but sure enough a few days later bubbles everywhere. Is it possible I just purchased a skimmer that is too powerful for my system? The system is 160G display and 40G sump. The skimmer is rated for 450G light and 270G heavy load.

I really hate to have to buy a new one but I'm starting to think I have no other choice.

PXL_20210607_212125462.jpg

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you now that size has nothing to do with what it is doing. You have something in your water column making it overload like that. Its trying to skim it out. I've had this trouble in the past. My fix was to use it as a water change. Attach the drain line to a piece of tubing, run it to a bucket and let it overflow until its heart is content. Replace the water afterwards. I had to go through like 3 buckets before it stopped. But it worked, it got w/e was in the water out and then it worked perfectly from then on.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can end up with a skimmer that is too big but that seems like it's putting off excellent foam so unlikely. Perhaps you should try raising it a few inches. Have you checked the manufacturer website for recommended depth? Also swings in salinity or a death in the tank or other increase in DOC can cause skimmer to go haywire. Oil may be problematic. Check for all of the above. If correct give it a vinegar bath. Rinse well as try setting it up again.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start with "next time": If it's not a recirculating skimmer, next time get one. LOL. ;) Beyond that, and what others have said about something in the water chemistry prompting it to skim out of control, my question is are you making large air-intake adjustments when you should be making fine air intake adjustments? Sometimes it's only a micro-twist of the adjustment dial that is needed-- but it takes several hours to show itself in the skimmate results.

Do this: Lower the bubbles all the way down for a minute. Then make a tiny air-intake adjustment and let them rise, but not fully climb the neck. If it stays like that for a half-a-day or a day, make another VERY FINE adjustment until the foam is just barely climbing the neck, about half-way to the cup. Then let it sit there for another half-a-day or more. Then maybe one more fine adjustment. Remember you want the bubbles to essentially break (pop) OVER the cup, more so than flood INTO the cup unbroken. Hope that makes sense and helps. :)

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 2 years of having this system running I FINALLY figured out what was wrong with my skimmer. I didn't have the drain plug plugged in.

Attachments

• PXL_20221023_222814504.jpg
    PXL_20221023_222814504.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 7

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the skimmer is not to large. @dwair is correct. There is a compound in the water column that the skimmer is pulling out. It's doing its job! It's from an additive. Just shut the skimmer off for a few days. A protein skimmer does not need to be on 24/7.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the skimmer is not to large. @dwair is correct. There is a compound in the water column that the skimmer is pulling out. It's doing its job! It's from an additive. Just shut the skimmer off for a few days. A protein skimmer does not need to be on 24/7.
Didn't realize my OP had it overflowing. I raised it about an inch to solve that issue. But for 2 years like an idiot I never had real skimmate but rather only dirty bubbles due to me not using the plug. Lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back