Skimmer Producing Thick Foam

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer has always produced pretty thick foam that would sometimes lift the lid off. I recently started feeding more to raise my nutrients, and since then it has gone into overdrive. I understand the connection, more food, more skimmate. I'm just trying to understand why it does this and how I can tune it better. The water level is turned down pretty low and I put an valve on the air supply that restricts flow a very slight bit. I've watched the BRS videos on skimmer tuning, I've watched most videos on Youtube on skimmer tuning, but I haven't been able to figure anything out yet.

IMG_20200929_171458.jpg

The skimmer is a SCA-301. It's in just over 8" of water.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What i get from this video is less air equals dry thick skimate, more air equals wetter skimate. With the water level low in the skimmer you just may be not removing the organics fast enough.

You might try raising the water level in the skimmer body and put the drain line from the collection cup into a 5 gallon bucket and let go crazy for a couple hours or so. Have some pre made saltwater handy If its removing to much water.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer has always produced pretty thick foam that would sometimes lift the lid off. I recently started feeding more to raise my nutrients, and since then it has gone into overdrive. I understand the connection, more food, more skimmate. I'm just trying to understand why it does this and how I can tune it better. The water level is turned down pretty low and I put an valve on the air supply that restricts flow a very slight bit. I've watched the BRS videos on skimmer tuning, I've watched most videos on Youtube on skimmer tuning, but I haven't been able to figure anything out yet.

IMG_20200929_171458.jpg

The skimmer is a SCA-301. It's in just over 8" of water.
If theskimmer pump speed is adjustable, try turning it down.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What i get from this video is less air equals dry thick skimate, more air equals wetter skimate. With the water level low in the skimmer you just may be not removing the organics fast enough.

You might try raising the water level in the skimmer body and put the drain line from the collection cup into a 5 gallon bucket and let go crazy for a couple hours or so. Have some pre made saltwater handy If its removing to much water.

Yeah I saw that video, it actually inspired me to put the valve on the air intake. I got really weak light skimmate before and could never really make it drier. Changing the water level didn't do much. The valve helped a little, until now when it's just blowing way too much foam out.

Do you think I should remove the valve and raise the water level?

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would leave the valve but raise the water for a while and see if it gets some of the thicker stuff out and calms down after.

When I do tank maintenance my skimmer produces some really thick foam for a little bit then calms dowm.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of those many years ago... great little skimmer! Try lifting up the skimmer so that it sits in 6 to 7 inches of water. By lifting it higher, it will give you a greater range of adjustability allowing you to tune it down more.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would leave the valve but raise the water for a while and see if it gets some of the thicker stuff out and calms down after.

When I do tank maintenance my skimmer produces some really thick foam for a little bit then calms dowm.

Thanks, I can give this a try. I think in the past the problem with raising the water level was that it continuously produced very light and watery skimmate. I guess this isn't really a bad thing, as I already have the skimmer draining into a 5g bucket. It just feels like wasting a lot of saltwater.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of those many years ago... great little skimmer! Try lifting up the skimmer so that it sits in 6 to 7 inches of water. By lifting it higher, it will give you a greater range of adjustability allowing you to tune it down more.

Agreed, this skimmer really does work. It's a little difficult to tune as I'm finding now. But in terms of efficacy, there's no denying that it works. I'm feeding two frozen cubes and 6 scoops of pellets per day (using the little clear scooper that comes with BRS Reef Chili) and my nutrients are still bottoming out.

I'll try elevating the skimmer a little more and see what that does.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I can give this a try. I think in the past the problem with raising the water level was that it continuously produced very light and watery skimmate. I guess this isn't really a bad thing, as I already have the skimmer draining into a 5g bucket. It just feels like wasting a lot of saltwater.
i had almost the same problem with my RO 110int. i never could get it to pull out dry skimmate.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back