Skimmer pump leaking electricity!

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 year old Vertex Omega 150 pump appears to be leaking electricity into the tank (about 33 Volts). I noticed when I was shocked while changing out some tubes. Is there a way to replace the pump to a quieter pump or will I have to buy a new skimmer?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 year old Vertex Omega 150 pump appears to be leaking electricity into the tank (about 33 Volts). I noticed when I was shocked while changing out some tubes. Is there a way to replace the pump to a quieter pump or will I have to buy a new skimmer?

Here are some links

I'd contact Vertex for an replacement, or buy a new skimmer.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the question: Which one!?

giphy.gif

:D

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick google seems to show me that the pump is just a sicce SK400 pump, used by a few skimmer makers. You can find them on amazon and other places. The plates and impeller might be different, but they should be easily swapped onto a new pump.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick google seems to show me that the pump is just a sicce SK400 pump, used by a few skimmer makers. You can find them on amazon and other places. The plates and impeller might be different, but they should be easily swapped onto a new pump.
I don’t care for the pump and do not want another one. It’s too loud for MY taste. Want something silent so if I can’t replace it with a different one, then the search for a silent skimmer is on.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t care for the pump and do not want another one. It’s too loud for MY taste. Want something silent so if I can’t replace it with a different one, then the search for a silent skimmer is on.

I would shoot Adam @Battlecorals an PM to size up an Deltec for your needs.

JMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fully stocked mixed reef, 90g with a 40g sump/refugium. Breeding clows, anemone, several tangs, SPS, zoos, misc other stuff.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fully stocked mixed reef, 90g with a 40g sump/refugium. Breeding clows, anemone, several tangs, SPS, zoos, misc other stuff.

I was going to suggest the Reef Octopus 110 space saver, but it is only rated for tanks up to 100 gallons. You may want to consider its big brother, the Red Octopus 150, which is rated up to 160 gallons in a lite-moderately stocked tank.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should install a simple grounding probe... about $12... and protects you and your livestock from electrocution.

I had 2 pumps go bad and leak voltage into my tank... never again!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should install a simple grounding probe... about $12... and protects you and your livestock from electrocution.

I had 2 pumps go bad and leak voltage into my tank... never again!

I have one... "need" it or not.

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a new skimmer, Aquamaxx are best skimmers for the money IMO.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's an interesting update. So I THOUGHT it was the skimmer pump that was causing the voltage readings in my tank. As usual, the answer is a little more complex. The voltage reading in my tank is normal and at least mostly due to induction, not necessarily an electrical leak or short. I can not confirm this 100% b/c this all started with me feeling a zap which I have not been able to replicate since the 1 and only time it happened when changing out my DoS water line (in the basement, below the the tank which is in the main floor of the house).

Here's a wonderful post where @Wiz had a similar issue and @Brew12 answered beautifully.
Many thanks to @Brew12 and those who answer so completely and are a value to all of us in this wonderful hobby.

As for the skimmer, I will hold off until I can justify it but I really do want to get a slightly beefier and quieter skimmer than my Vertex Omega 150. I really do want to find out what that skimmer is.

If I find the source of my zap, I will update this thread.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's an interesting update. So I THOUGHT it was the skimmer pump that was causing the voltage readings in my tank. As usual, the answer is a little more complex. The voltage reading in my tank is normal and at least mostly due to induction, not necessarily an electrical leak or short. I can not confirm this 100% b/c this all started with me feeling a zap which I have not been able to replicate since the 1 and only time it happened when changing out my DoS water line (in the basement, below the the tank which is in the main floor of the house).

Here's a wonderful post where @Wiz had a similar issue and @Brew12 answered beautifully.
Many thanks to @Brew12 and those who answer so completely and are a value to all of us in this wonderful hobby.

As for the skimmer, I will hold off until I can justify it but I really do want to get a slightly beefier and quieter skimmer than my Vertex Omega 150. I really do want to find out what that skimmer is.

If I find the source of my zap, I will update this thread.
Glad you found that useful! You did some digging to find that old post!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed and using mine now. Didnt realize I could simply plug it into one my apex outlets :)

Really? Interesting....

I've always avoided plugging into power strips and go directly to the wall. Always thought it HAD to go to the wall.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? Interesting....

I've always avoided plugging into power strips and go directly to the wall. Always thought it HAD to go to the wall.
You can plug it into your neighbors house and it would work just fine. It just needs any path to ground which should be supplied by any good power strip.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back