Skimmer question

Tbird165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long after using this should I wait to turn skimmer back on?

D8BBE1C5-4556-4263-B90A-2A6CCB3A29D6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Another important thing to remember is that your protein skimmer if left on while you dose phytoplankton for your corals, will skim the phytoplankton out of your aquarium. So it is best to turn off your skimmer before you dose phytoplankton into your marine aquarium. Just remember to turn your skimmer back on when you are finished, or you’ll have bigger problems than you had bargained for. Two hours is sufficient.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Why are you putting it in?
Phytoplankton (also called microalgae) are small photosynthetic organisms (similar to single-celled plants) that make up the bottom of the food chain. Many marine filter-feeding invertebrates one link up in the food chain depend on phytoplankton as a primary or secondary food source.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s for the coral
I don’t think corals eat Phyto. Yes, copepods eat Phyto IF they are free swimming but how many of these have we got? The main input may be the nutrients in the Phyto when they degrade. Adding Phyto isn’t necessary in my experience if you feed other foods.

OP
OP
Tbird165

Tbird165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think corals eat Phyto. Yes, copepods eat Phyto IF they are free swimming but how many of these have we got? The main input may be the nutrients in the Phyto when they degrade. Adding Phyto isn’t necessary in my experience if you feed other foods.
  • Phytoplankton - (1) 16oz - Great for feeding filter feeders and micro mouth animals like SPS.

OP
OP
Tbird165

Tbird165

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another important thing to remember is that your protein skimmer if left on while you dose phytoplankton for your corals, will skim the phytoplankton out of your aquarium. So it is best to turn off your skimmer before you dose phytoplankton into your marine aquarium. Just remember to turn your skimmer back on when you are finished, or you’ll have bigger problems than you had bargained for. Two hours is sufficient.
Thanks for the info

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 103 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.2%
Back