Skimmer recommendation please

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking up parts to start putting together a multi display tank system.

Planning to start with a 300 gallon display and add a few more displays in the next year for a total of 900-1200 display.

Hoping I can get a skimmer that will work for the final system without problems initially... Is that possible? Any recommendations?

Minimal maintenance is my primary consideration. I was looking at some of the reef octopus models and they seem to have an optional neck cleaner and waste collector so you only have to clean them out monthly. I travel for extended periods of time so this is a really good feature for me. Any particular models with features like this that could be recommended I would appreciated. From initial research I'm leaning towards an external skimmer for plumbing considerations and such.

Any help or comments appreciated

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does help! Thanks. Which one did you go with? And are you happy with it?
I didn't go with either. I only have a 40 gallon breeder so I have a reef octopus 110int. Just knew of these.

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a neck cleaner on my reef octopus it increases production of my skimmer so I end up cleaning out more often but not a bad thing though

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion ..... but as you start getting north of 500 gallons I tend to look beyond the standard needle wheel, extruded 'toy' skimmers for something more substantial. I use the marine technical concepts units (have since about 1995) and have been very happy with them. Lifereef make good skimmers for big systems as do MRC (if there's still around).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back