Skimmer Recommendation with reefmat considerations

ReefMonkey13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

As title mentioned looking for skimmer recommendations for a nuvo 100-ext (approximately 90 gallons) and approximately 20 gallon sump running a Red Sea reefmat 500.

thanks in advance for your guidance

OP
OP
R

ReefMonkey13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks will look into the NYOS 160.
I did watch one of the BRS videos citing to under size slimmers since the reefmat is very efficient at removing detritus prior to it being available on the water column for the skimmer to remove. They suggested to undersize the skimmer. Would a NYOS 120 be more suitable?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks will look into the NYOS 160.
I did watch one of the BRS videos citing to under size slimmers since the reefmat is very efficient at removing detritus prior to it being available on the water column for the skimmer to remove. They suggested to undersize the skimmer. Would a NYOS 120 be more suitable?
Yes, the Nyos 120 or Red Sea RSK-300 would probably be the two I'd look at. There's another really good skimmer from Italy, but I'm drawing a blank this morning... Ultra Reef?

normsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

As title mentioned looking for skimmer recommendations for a nuvo 100-ext (approximately 90 gallons) and approximately 20 gallon sump running a Red Sea reefmat 500.

Hey wondering if you still have this set up. Purchasing the IM nuvo 100 EXT I’d like to set up sump so I can run the Red Sea reefmat and a skimmer. Could you give me more info please?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos 160 and a Reefmat 1200, definitely don't get a lot of skimmate anymore, but the Nyos didn't have a huge cup either. I can go a week now before it's full, which is nice.

normsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nyos 160 and a Reefmat 1200, definitely don't get a lot of skimmate anymore, but the Nyos didn't have a huge cup either. I can go a week now before it's full, which is nice.
That’s exactly what I was thinking for my size tank. Which sump are you running? I’m hoping to also fit a narrow ATO in there but I know space is limited!

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I was thinking for my size tank. Which sump are you running? I’m hoping to also fit a narrow ATO in there but I know space is limited!

I have a Waterbox sump, it's 45ish gallons or so. Was able to get the 1200 to fit but I had to do a hack. You really need a good 15 inches for the 1200 if you include the hose. I had to hard plumb it so that it would fit in 12 inches.

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox sump, it's 45ish gallons or so. Was able to get the 1200 to fit but I had to do a hack. You really need a good 15 inches for the 1200 if you include the hose. I had to hard plumb it so that it would fit in 12 inches.
Any pics on how you hard plumped

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

What you end up going with

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pics on how you hard plumped

Here is what I ended up with. The slip elbow I had to remove some material so that the mechanism inside would lock in.

Reefmat-waterbox_sump.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back