Skimmer recommendations for a 170G DT

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to the Waterbox 7226 (230G total system, with 170G Peninsula DT). I am looking at the Reef Octopus Regal 250EXT 10" Recirculating Protein Skimmer (VarioS) but to be honest, I don't know a lot about these skimmers. The tank will have a fairly heavy bioload (15 fish, assorted corals/inverts). Any body have any other good recommendations and tips? Is it better to house the skimmer internal or external to the sump and why?

Thanks in advance.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a good look at simplicity skimmers. I haven’t seen a single negative comment about the product, the people behind it or the service that they provide. I had some questions about setting mine up and they responded promptly and courteously to my questions. I have the 240DC and it does a great job.

Mine is housed in an eshopp 200 sump. The only thing I wish I had done differently is gotten the sump with the provision for a refugium built in.

mistaflicksta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That skimmer is great for your tank. It will handle anything you put in that tank. I have the Regal 200 int and I love it

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal 250EXT will rock. Everyone that has a Life Reef raves about them best thing about them is any pump with the right gph rating will work on a Life Reef.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back