SKIMMER recommendations

ReefOG311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what other folks are using for skimmers these days. I have a 57g mixed reef with medium to large bioload. Currently using my reef octopus 110 and it does pretty well, a bit noisy tho. Thinking of upgrading. Do u think I need to or is the 4" ok? Recommendations if I do?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef octopus 110 is plenty for your tank imo. What is noisy? The air intake or the pump itself? If it’s the air intake tube up to a CO2 scrubber and it will be dead silent even if you don’t use the media. If you use the media it may give you a ph bump if you have high co2 in the house. You could also run the tube outside if it’s not to far which would be the best option. If it’s the pump when is the last time you cleaned it? The aquatrance 1000 pumps on those get a bit noisy when the pin wheel is dirty.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reef O, Your 11o skimmer is real good for your size tank. Personally, I like to go double on skimmer capacity . ( 50 gl tank go 100 with a skimmer ) . where is the noise coming from? Is it an air sucking sound or the pump maybe ? Still using that huge brick pump they come with ? You can replace that pump with a smaller size much more quiet .

OP
OP
ReefOG311

ReefOG311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The noise is more associated with water return. Does that have to be above water? I was thinking of going with the 150 which is the 6". I'm getting a full cup a week of skim, is that good?
What other brands would u recommend? Are the downdraft type better?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back