Skimmer Recommendations?

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy! I'm potentially looking to upgrade the skimmer that came with my SCA 50 gallon cube. The skimmer chamber is 7x8 inches so its a bit tight, but I'm looking at the Reef Octopus Essence 130 or 110SSS. I dont believe that my tank will end up heavily stocked but I'd prefer to have a little headroom just in case. If I get something thats a little overkill and its skimming too much, I can always just not run it 24/7, but in the case of an emergency having a little extra wouldn't hurt.

My absolute number one priority is noise however. My tank is in my bedroom (I sleep fantastic with a bit of running water) but pump humming is something that I'd like to reduce as low as possible.

I've got no brand loyalty towards anyone at this point, I just started looking at the RO skimmers based on a few suggestions I saw around and some pretty overwhelmingly positive reviews, but if anyone has anything that they'd recommend I'm all ears and grateful for any suggestions you may have.

Andy429

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 150sss and it’s a fantastic skimmer. I can hear it drawing air though. I have a co2 scrubber connected to my intake and that silences completely it so it would be very simple to make a muffler for the intake.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I believe the SSS150 is a little too large to fit in my sump, but I'll double check. I believe it'd be a good fit if it does physically fit.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Deltec skimmers are extremely quiet, very close to silent. @Battlecorals sells them, I have a 600i and am very pleased with it.

Thanks for the suggestion, they do look quite nice but they are a bit too large to fit into my sump. The SCA 50 gallon cube has a dedicated skimmer chamber thats about 7x8, a closer read on it is 7.25x7.75 inches I believe, but I'll get a super accurate reading before I find a skimmer that is over 8 inches.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the 150SSS is out of the running. As much as I'm sure I'd love it based on what everyone is saying, its got a 9.5 inch footprint. Too large for my sump. The 110SSS is 6.1x7.9 inches and I believe it might fit, and the S130 Essence also has a dimension over 8 inches, so it looks like its out of the running as well. Im going to go through a bunch of 50 gallon cube threads here to see what people have managed to fit.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy!
Reef octopus is a work horse and imo best bang for buck in the biz. Although quiet is not one of it’s strong suits. If you can run the air hose to outside that would help big time and you get some rest, if not would see if an omega will fit in there

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahoy!
Reef octopus is a work horse and imo best bang for buck in the biz. Although quiet is not one of it’s strong suits. If you can run the air hose to outside that would help big time and you get some rest, if not would see if an omega will fit in there

Checking out the omegas now. I happened across the Bubble Magus Curve 5. Has anyone used one? The price is good, people seem to like the performance, with the only complaint being that their customer service isn't great. The form factor is very appealing.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking out the omegas now. I happened across the Bubble Magus Curve 5. Has anyone used one? The price is good, people seem to like the performance, with the only complaint being that their customer service isn't great. The form factor is very appealing.

Yes, I have a Bubble Magus Curve Elite 5. It has the upgraded sicce pump and it's basically silent. I was getting ready to suggest it and then saw your latest post. I would buy it again. I hope that helps.

edit: I don't know anything about how well their customer service is because I've had no reason to contact them. :)

Fish tanks direct has them for $202.49. the cheapest price i've seen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a Bubble Magus Curve Elite 5. It has the upgraded sicce pump and it's basically silent. I was getting ready to suggest it and then saw your latest post. I would buy it again. I hope that helps.

edit: I don't know anything about how well their customer service is because I've had no reason to contact them. :)

Fish tanks direct has them for $202.49. the cheapest price i've seen.

Very interested in this one, the form factor looks beautiful and as you said seems to work well. Price point is fantastic, and with a nice pump. I'll keep looking for a little while longer but this is probably the strongest contender at the moment. Thank you kindly for suggesting it, I was having a little trouble looking through all of the variations of the bubble magus skimmers.

I've read that the 9.5-11 inch manufacturer suggested water height isn't accurate. That would actually sort of be ideal for my sump, but I'm sure I could figure something out. What did you find to be the right water level for it?

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Exclusiv are the only ones I have ever had that are dead silent. If you run the airflow to a separate location you can't tell it is on. The Deltecs are also pretty good when they use the Aquabee pumps but not a silent as the RE. Not sure if you can get one that will fit your sump. Silent performance is expensive unfortunately....

Andy429

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a curve 5 and updated to the 150sss. The RO is a different class. The curve would need tinkering with fairly frequently but the RO is set and forget. If the 110 fits, that would be my choice all day long.

russell13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into a dc pump skimmer. They run with very little noise and work great. I use simplicity skimmer and have had great success with them

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the curve 5 elite.

Love my curve 5 elite, and the elite gets you a few upgrades and a sicce pump which is dead silent. Totally worth the few extra bucks.

OP
OP
T

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did end up ordering the Curve 5 Elite. I'll be sure to let you know how it works out for me. For the price/performance and form factor and a good shot at being fairly quiet with the sicce pump it was too good to pass up, especially at $200 shipped no tax/shipping. I read that they are a little finicky to get setup sometimes, but other times not too much. Their support is nonexistent, but not many people need support with. I can be patient and get it dialed in if it'll work well for me when I need it to in the future. Right now I'm unstocked so I've got time to tinker.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did end up ordering the Curve 5 Elite. I'll be sure to let you know how it works out for me. For the price/performance and form factor and a good shot at being fairly quiet with the sicce pump it was too good to pass up, especially at $200 shipped no tax/shipping. I read that they are a little finicky to get setup sometimes, but other times not too much. Their support is nonexistent, but not many people need support with. I can be patient and get it dialed in if it'll work well for me when I need it to in the future. Right now I'm unstocked so I've got time to tinker.

Agreed, it took about a month for it to break-in. Being my first skimmer, it was a little frustrating. Since, I have barely touched it other than to empty and clean the cup. GL

Jefdav84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Were you able to get the skimmer set up? I am in the same boat right now. Second pump has failed on the SCA skimmer and currently looking at the RO 110 SSS or the BM Curve 5. I see you were able to get the elite version as well for right around $200. If you had any feedback that would be great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 40 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back