skimmer, refugium or both

Skunk Shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

I currently have a skimmer in the sump and just got a light to start a refuge. I have had people tell me a skimmer is not necessary and you only really need one if you do not do regular water changes. I am not a huge fan of the skimmers but have one because I thought it best because people swear by them. I am thinking of going with just a refugium. I have heard good things and am trying to have a self sustaining tank as (much as possible.) Either way when the light comes in I might try it and due regular water test and keep a thread so people can judge for themselves. I tried to find something on r2r about this but was unsuccessful.

what are your opinions?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come? This will be my first fuge.
Skimmer Keeps my ph up and water crystal clear.. fuge becomes a dump in my experience just collects detrius and left over food etc.. a fuge does work I’m just really anal about keeping my tank and everything super clean.. I’ve gotten ocd at my old age.lol

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? What does a regular water change mean to you weekly, twice weekly, every other week?

There are many was to reef, many would say I could run my 29 gallon with just water changes weekly...but I like to do other things on my weekends, so I run a fuge, skimmer and 10 percent water changes every other week or so.

OP
OP
Skunk Shrimp

Skunk Shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer Keeps my ph up and water crystal clear.. fuge becomes a dump in my experience just collects detrius and left over food etc.. a fuge does work I’m just really anal about keeping my tank and everything super clean.. I’ve gotten ocd at my old age.lol
makes sense! haha i am pretty ocd too

OP
OP
Skunk Shrimp

Skunk Shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? What does a regular water change mean to you weekly, twice weekly, every other week?

There are many was to reef, many would say I could run my 29 gallon with just water changes weekly...but I like to do other things on my weekends, so I run a fuge, skimmer and 10 percent water changes every other week or so.
80g and weekly water change. We just had a baby so my weekends aren’t to crazy anymore

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back