Skimmer: Royal Exclusive or Ultra Reef ?

Which skimmer brand would you reccomend

• Total voters

Salina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,
I run currently a Deltec 1000i on my 110g tank. I am struggling to get constant results in skimmate, as the Deltec needs frequent cleaning and doesn't really pull out much stuff. Never got dark stuff out, it doesn't even smell. I have a high bioload with many fish and my Nitrates and Phosphate is high: NO3 : 35, PO4: 0,75.
So I want to try a different skimmer, and I heard that Royal Exclusiv is a beast. Any recommendations or experiences? What model? There is the new Supermarin 160, anyone? Price is crazy though.
Then there is Ultra Reef skimmers, better price but also looks like solid build.

Or stick to Deltec? I suspect the double chamber floor is causing some trouble after it gets dirty...

Would you recommend any other brand?
BTW, I don't have any roller filter installed.

ATB USA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the ATB 840 v2 with Sicce SDC 1500 Wifi. $675 without the cleaning head.
1616165636769.png

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you running the Deltec wet or dry? If it's not pulling a lot of skimmate, then a larger skimmer isn't going to do anything for you. Do you have a lot of particulate material in the water column? I have an old 1351 on my 90g with a refugium and it's pulling nasty skimmate like a beast. Do you have the manual cleaning head on the skimmer? Also, how high is the pump running, power setting? Have you reached out to Deltec?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird, I have a Deltec 1000i as well on a similar size tank with smaller bioload and I am getting the nastiest skimmate ever. Maybe its clogged or something is wrong with it? I got mine in November, and have cleaned the cup out 3 times thanks to the squeegee thing and drain valve. I just checked the pump and tubes for cleanliness recently and everything was good. I'm surprised its not working well for you so I am wondering if there is something wrong with it.

I moved mine up about 1" and turned the pump to about 50% and am getting better results.

OP
OP
Salina

Salina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running the Deltec wet or dry? If it's not pulling a lot of skimmate, then a larger skimmer isn't going to do anything for you. Do you have a lot of particulate material in the water column? I have an old 1351 on my 90g with a refugium and it's pulling nasty skimmate like a beast. Do you have the manual cleaning head on the skimmer? Also, how high is the pump running, power setting? Have you reached out to Deltec?
I just have a filter mat in the sump that gets replaced every couple of weeks, but it sits in a chamber after the skimmer. I get lots of muddy stuff in the skimmer pipe, which I remove with the manual cleaning head, a few times a week. Pump runs at 6 out of 10.
Deltec already replaced my pump and the venturi valve. But it didn't do much.
Wet/Dry: I tried to get the water level lower, to get more dry. But then it didn't get anything into the cup...

OP
OP
Salina

Salina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird, I have a Deltec 1000i as well on a similar size tank with smaller bioload and I am getting the nastiest skimmate ever. Maybe its clogged or something is wrong with it? I got mine in November, and have cleaned the cup out 3 times thanks to the squeegee thing and drain valve. I just checked the pump and tubes for cleanliness recently and everything was good. I'm surprised its not working well for you so I am wondering if there is something wrong with it.

I moved mine up about 1" and turned the pump to about 50% and am getting better results.
I read there is same experiences with the xxxi series, like mine. Some say it's doing great, but some have same problems like me. Features are great, but results not so much. I also reduced the flow of the return pump in the sump.

The skimmer works better after a complete cleaning, but after a short period of time it is not. I don't want to cleaning the skimmer completely every week.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just have a filter mat in the sump that gets replaced every couple of weeks, but it sits in a chamber after the skimmer. I get lots of muddy stuff in the skimmer pipe, which I remove with the manual cleaning head, a few times a week. Pump runs at 6 out of 10.
Deltec already replaced my pump and the venturi valve. But it didn't do much.
Wet/Dry: I tried to get the water level lower, to get more dry. But then it didn't get anything into the cup...
Yeah, that's strange why it wouldn't be pulling out more. What's the water level in the sump?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look for a used larger skimmer to test out instead of buying new. This will at least tell you if the Deltec is doing its job or you don't have enough organics for it to pull. Nutrient levels in of themselves aren't a determining factor in a skimmers ability to pull organic and inorganic material from the water.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,
I run currently a Deltec 1000i on my 110g tank. I am struggling to get constant results in skimmate, as the Deltec needs frequent cleaning and doesn't really pull out much stuff. Never got dark stuff out, it doesn't even smell. I have a high bioload with many fish and my Nitrates and Phosphate is high: NO3 : 35, PO4: 0,75.
So I want to try a different skimmer, and I heard that Royal Exclusiv is a beast. Any recommendations or experiences? What model? There is the new Supermarin 160, anyone? Price is crazy though.
Then there is Ultra Reef skimmers, better price but also looks like solid build.

Or stick to Deltec? I suspect the double chamber floor is causing some trouble after it gets dirty...

Since you mentioned Ultra Reef then check this out...

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

1000i might be oversized for your tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back