Skimmer screw broke! New Skimmer ??

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 29, 2020
Messages
3,887
Reaction score
1,860
Location
Hanford ca
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I have Bubble Magus curve 7 skimmer and at the bottom as displayed in picture , there are hand tighten plastic screws that hold down the skimmer to the bottom plate. 2 of these broke!! And they are plastic. Do I need buy a new skimmer? Anyone replace these or have this experience ?? What did you use?

A740BED0-4B7D-4957-9696-011FB13276CE.jpeg
55D50182-F857-4E83-A472-3EBA2D071EF5.jpeg
 
Pop it out, get some stainless screws, nuts and washers at the hardware store and be done

Agreed. Take off the bottom plate and take it and a screw to your local Ace or other hardware store. You may even be able to find a similar screw to what you have, but I’d go with the SS like Ta2 recommended. Just make sure to get screws of the same length, as they also serve as feet on that model.
 
Agreed. Take off the bottom plate and take it and a screw to your local Ace or other hardware store. You may even be able to find a similar screw to what you have, but I’d go with the SS like Ta2 recommended. Just make sure to get screws of the same length, as they also serve as feet on that model.
You don’t think the screws will rust
 
I have a Torque branded skimmer, think it is what is branded in the US as Jebao. The pump for this is also connected via 4 acrylic screws. What I have found is that these are metric thread screws, M6 specifically, and I was easily able to get some M6 bolts from my local big box hardware store to replace them - just had to cut them down in length and clean up the end with my tap and die set. These are a poly replacement, not acrylic, so not as stiff. Still do the job however.

I also busted a small acrylic metric screw in a float valve (M3x6) and was able to buy a packet of replacements for very little off eBay to replace it.

Stainless is good, but acrylic or poly is better. Stainless comes in various qualities and will eventually start to oxidise. Cheap ones may only last months. High quality stainless will last for years in a tank and I have some in mine - hose clamps. I keep an eye on them however. If I have the option between stainless and acrylic I will always choose acrylic as it will effectively last forever without issues. Can’t use acrylic in a hose clamp however due to lack of tensile strength.
 
Amazon sells them.. just nylon thumb screws.. I believe they’re 1/4” 20 thread. I wouldn’t use stainless.. to get the broken one out grab it with some vise grips and unscrew it.
 
Amazon sells them.. just nylon thumb screws.. I believe they’re 1/4” 20 thread. I wouldn’t use stainless.. to get the broken one out grab it with some vise grips and unscrew it.
This. I just bought some M6 nylon bolts on Amazon yesterday to replace on one of my skimmer. They were $4 for a pack of 20 or so.
 
It’s surprising to see people in the hobby that don’t know stainless steel can and will rust.
Lack or knowledge no longer surprises me sadly. If you go stainless make sure it’s H1 or 316. Personally I would check the pitch and get a delrin one. At worst buy a cut off rod and run a die down it.
 
Amazon sells them.. just nylon thumb screws.. I believe they’re 1/4” 20 thread. I wouldn’t use stainless.. to get the broken one out grab it with some vise grips and unscrew it.
Appreciate that this is long gone but seeing as you somehow seem to know the size of the bottom screws, was wondering after days of looking if you’d know which screw is needed for the internal bubble plate? The long screw that holds it in place snapped off in my hand, I can’t find any info on it, I’ve not heard back from magus, I binned the broken screw straight away thinking “ahh, that’ll be an easy order” and I’m reluctant to replace a perfectly fine filter that only needs a screw I can pick up in town. Any help would be greatly appreciated
 
Appreciate that this is long gone but seeing as you somehow seem to know the size of the bottom screws, was wondering after days of looking if you’d know which screw is needed for the internal bubble plate? The long screw that holds it in place snapped off in my hand, I can’t find any info on it, I’ve not heard back from magus, I binned the broken screw straight away thinking “ahh, that’ll be an easy order” and I’m reluctant to replace a perfectly fine filter that only needs a screw I can pick up in town. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Not off the top of my head I don’t.. I have a curve 9 and I’m sure it’s the same.. when I get a chance I’ll pull mine apart and look. Worst case if it’s some weird metric size you can always just tap the acrylic to anything you want or can get.
 
Not off the top of my head I don’t.. I have a curve 9 and I’m sure it’s the same.. when I get a chance I’ll pull mine apart and look. Worst case if it’s some weird metric size you can always just tap the acrylic to anything you want or can get.
Legend, thank you.
 
Good on you for asking. I’m too embarrassed to ask so I just buy a few of every size. And now I’ve got a lot of loose screws.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new