Skimmer Shutoff Float Switch

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
I wanted to add some protection measures to my skimmer. I 3d printed a clip to mount a float switch that connects to my Apex break out box. There is no modification to the skimmer lid, so the skimmer doesn't need to be modified.
The float switch clips onto the skimmer lid and the wired feed out the skimmer air holes. Simply hook the float up to an Apex breakout box. There is about 1/4" adjustment in the float height by unscrewing the float. I believe this will work on a majority of skimmers.

20201223_204401.jpg 20201223_204159.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an optical sensor that will tell apex to shut off the air pump if I fail to dump the skimmer drain bucket

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done! Like @Biglew11 , I did something similar on my skimate container. My one question is how you'll disconnect the wiring to clean the cup and lid?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a similar setup only I don't have an apex so mine is ran to a homemade controller and I put the float in a plastic container as a skimmate collector. I have a coax power connector on mine so that I can unplug it and empty/clean the container. My connector isn't water tight but when it gets corroded I'll just put a new one on.
I almost drilled a hole in my skimmer lid for mounting the float before I decided to use a separate container. Would you be willing to share the .stl file so if I ever decide to get rid of the container I don't have a drill a hole in my lid?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I tried to do something similar with my skimmer but found the space between the inner and outer walls in the skim mate cup was too narrow for the float on the float switch. I ended up just draining the cup to an external reservoir an putting the float switch on that.

Out of curiosity, did you look at mounting it to the lid?

The big thing to be careful of with a setup like this (and float switches in general) is to make sure it stays clean so it doesn't get stuck and cause an overflow. rinsing it off when you empty the cup should be sufficient for that.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back