Skimmer Sizing Help!

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time finding the right size skimmer for my 30g sump because the skimmer section of the sump is only 15x9.5 inch. My DT is 120g mix reef (medium to heavy bio load).

The plan was to get Reef Octopus SRO 2000INT but the vendor said it is discontinued and could not get it. Also finding the a replacement pump HY 2000 in the future will be difficult. My next options RO Classic 150INT (AC pump) or RO Regal 150INT (DC pump) or RO Regal 150SSS (DC pump).

First of all, could you please let me know if any of this skimmer is adequate for the bio load? Do the DC pump really outperform the AC pump and worth a few hundred dollars extra. I am interested in the performance of the skimmer.

Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
R

REEF_TO_KEEP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the pumps, I've had both and haven't seen much difference. In fact, the DC model used more electricity than the AC!

*When choosing a return pump, the difference in cost makes sense, but to me, not for a skimmer.
Got a new RO Classic 150INT skimmer and it fits in the sump nicely. What an amazing skimmer, it started skimming right away and pull out so much waste from the water column.

Thanks

JJT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hard time finding the right size skimmer for my 30g sump because the skimmer section of the sump is only 15x9.5 inch. My DT is 120g mix reef (medium to heavy bio load).

The plan was to get Reef Octopus SRO 2000INT but the vendor said it is discontinued and could not get it. Also finding the a replacement pump HY 2000 in the future will be difficult. My next options RO Classic 150INT (AC pump) or RO Regal 150INT (DC pump) or RO Regal 150SSS (DC pump).

First of all, could you please let me know if any of this skimmer is adequate for the bio load? Do the DC pump really outperform the AC pump and worth a few hundred dollars extra. I am interested in the performance of the skimmer.

Thanks for your help.
Check out the Lifereef SVS2-24. It will easily fit into your space and can use ANY water pump. No special needle-wheel costly pump, or worse, discontinued which is why they use those pumps. When you buy a true venturi skimmer that skimmer WILL last forever, and any low-cost (or if you want to buy a high cost pump too) can run that skimmer. The Lifereef Venturi protein skimmers have remained unchanged for 30 years and if you got one back in 1993 it is still working today.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back