Skimmer Stand - Egg crate or Marine Pure Block

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to think about how I set my skimmer to the correct height. I've just got my Tunze DOC 9410 and will be putting in my sump in a chamber which is around 350mm (16") deep.

I was going to build a stand for it out of eggcrate (or something similar) but then thought maybe a marine pure block would serve the same purpose, possibly be more stable, and then also assist in the biological filtering.

Never having used Marine Pure (still haven't setup my tank yet!!) but will it wear down over time, or is it stable enough to be a permanent stand.

I had a quick look through the different threads but couldn't see something about marine pure in this context.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Giant Reef Octopus 5000 skimmer sitting on two blocks for 5 years now, no issues. You can easily adjust the skimmer instead of having to mess with the height of the base but it needs to be somewhat close in skimmer operational water level height at least.

They are more sturdy than most give them credit for, just don't put tons of isolated pressure on the edges when placing anything on it.

OP
OP
dowsetts101

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of both worlds... build an egg crate skimmer stand and put the marine pure blocks inside the egg crate stand! Good use of space and you don't put pressure on the marine pure.

Yeah, I had gotten to that point...basically build a cage of egg crate for the marine pure. Better use of space as well.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a cage out of eggcrate and cut a thin piece of acrylic to lay on top of it for better footing for the skimmer.

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5720.JPG

Here is what I did with egg crate and leftover PVC.

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just zip tied together. So far so good. Stable with room underneath for my heaters.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marinepure will become a block of mush if you're housing a skimmer on top of it. Eggcrate with PVC supports will be far superior.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to think about how I set my skimmer to the correct height. I've just got my Tunze DOC 9410 and will be putting in my sump in a chamber which is around 350mm (16") deep.

I was going to build a stand for it out of eggcrate (or something similar) but then thought maybe a marine pure block would serve the same purpose, possibly be more stable, and then also assist in the biological filtering.

Never having used Marine Pure (still haven't setup my tank yet!!) but will it wear down over time, or is it stable enough to be a permanent stand.

I had a quick look through the different threads but couldn't see something about marine pure in this context.
Interesting & inventive concept.

10/10 for effort.

I've use MPB. Had quite an elaborate setup for it.

I now can't think of any good reason to ever use it again.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used two marine pure blocks for about a year now. No issue at all.
It's an SRO 3000 by the way.

OP
OP
dowsetts101

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came here looking for an answer to this very question :) Did you end up doing the marine pure and egg crate combo?

Well...how should I say this...given my build is probably the slowest in history (started last April) and the tank isn’t wet yet...nope haven’t done it yet.

But I definitely will be...once I get it finished!!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back