Second Time Around

Todd Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I am just about to start my second attempt at a saltwater tank. The first attempt went ok but a house move, new addition to the family and an external skimmer leak all in quick succession had me thinking "enough"

About this time last year i stumbled across the BRS 160 series on YouTube and decided I'd like to try again. Over the course of the year i picked up a EcoTech Marine Vectra M1, 2 x MP40's and a Radion XR30w. A friend of mine decided he'd rather play golf then keep his tank, so i purchased it and it got delivered yesterday!

As I currently have bits and pieces everywhere, the following image is from from when the tank was first setup at his place

Full-tank.jpg

Tank dimensions are 140 x 55 x 60cm (55 x 20 x 24 inches) and the stand is 90cm (3 feet) high. The stand is made of metal, is powder coated and has adjustable feet. To prevent corrosion in the stand the previous owner created wooden frames that press fit inside the stand,and the panels are fixed to these frames. The cabinet panelling all comes from ikea

DSC_0005.jpg

Sump is only 90cm long, I think I should take the opportunity to get a bigger one and get filter socks and a refugium added.

sump_mockup.jpg

Final image for the moment is of the overflow which seems to have an identity crisis. From what i can tell it is a herbie overflow but the emergency pipe has a durso top fitted

IMG_20180107_072015.jpg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. Great grab.

That sump looks like a nice one. That return section is quite huge. You could get away with throwing a few pieces of glass for a bubble baffle in the return section just slightly wider than the pump and utilize the rest of the space for a refugium.

OP
OP
Todd Black

Todd Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That return section is quite huge. You could get away with throwing a few pieces of glass for a bubble baffle in the return section just slightly wider than the pump and utilize the rest of the space for a refugium.

Yeah i was considering that as an option to. I'm not sure how successful I would be at retro fitting filter sock holders though

OP
OP
Todd Black

Todd Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the stage I hate the most about tanks with sumps, the "are those bulkhead fittings tight enough" stage. the previous owner said he just pinched them up as tight as he could by hand and never had a leak. I'm not sure if I can trust in that though! I plan to half fill the tank tomorrow and take it from there

bulkheads.jpg

I was going to fit the return pump as well, but on investigating it seems i first have to grind down the bard fitting to get it to fit the housing properly. Not really impressed given the price

Vectra_m1.jpg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was considering that as an option to. I'm not sure how successful I would be at retro fitting filter sock holders though
I'd personally skip the filter socks.

I will only be running with them onoccasion, like when cleaning a portion of the sand bed.

Personal preference though

OP
OP
Todd Black

Todd Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater testing continues. I've also put the sand in, mounted the light, MP40s and osmolator. I plan to start out as FOWLR so only have the single XR30w mounted in the middle. I'm also considering the idea of drilling two holes in the board behind the tank and having the auto top off bucket outside, maybe even the chiller to.

IMG_20180115_171210.jpg

OP
OP
Todd Black

Todd Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress has stalled somewhat as I waiting for a Neptune Apex i purchased to come into the country. It was supposed to arrive yesterday but is now estimated to come in in the first week of February.

I have however drilled holes through the wall for the ATO and I am now considering doing the same for the chiller

IMG_20180118_155705.jpg

OP
OP
Todd Black

Todd Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have been a bit stop-start since my last post. The tank has been filled with salt water and running since February 12. The Neptune Apex showed up and i've been getting to grips with it

I have a combination of base rock and Carib Sea Life Rock and have started playing around with that. I'm more of a fish person than a coral person trying to get enough rock in without ending up with a wall of rock

Rock_1.jpg Rock_2.jpg

I decided to go bigger on the sump as well. It's being made at the moment and should be here next Tuesday. Once it is in then we should really get under way :)

At the moment the tank looks like..

Tank21022018.jpg

OP
OP
Todd Black

Todd Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love cardinals! Beautiful little fishes.

I'm a bit of a scifi nerd and Bangii's always remind me of Minbari Warships from Babylon5

I''m planning to go to the fish shop this weekend and get some checks done on my water. My refractometer is telling me the salinity is about 32 PPT but the apex salinity probe is saying 27 PPT and I'd like to know which one to trust

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.4%
Back