Skimmer Suggestion

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some feedback on the maxspect Jump Skimmer. I’d prefer the Airaqua Duo, but I think it’ll be to large for my system. My display is about 115 gal and full system is about 135ish. Running about 18 months with a medium bioload now, but will get more stocked eventually.

My skimmer now is an old Reef Octopus 110 classic. It’s doing ok but the nutrients have been creeping up.

I think I’d rather go int the direction of a Maxspect skimmer (if they actually live up to the hype) or the RO Regal 150.
037AE809-7213-4281-8F3F-CE89778CF894.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi cannot tell you anything about max. ,but Octopus tried and true... ;)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Maxspect JUMP is rated for 100-gallons with a heavy load (175-gallons for medium). If it were me I'd probably go with the larger Maxspect Aeraqua Duo (although it is quite a bit more). I don't have any experience with the Maxspect line but it does looks interesting. I use a Nyos Quantum 160 on my 200-gallon and I probably should've gone with the Quantum 220 as it fills up every week.

Agree with @fishguy242 on the Reef Octopus. Many LFS also swear by Bubble Magus.

Unheardreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I upgraded from a 50 gallon with a ro 110sss to a 150. I thought the new filter roller would make it work still but I think I need an upgraded skimmer. I’m looking at the bubble magus curve 7 elite

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Maxspect JUMP is rated for 100-gallons with a heavy load (175-gallons for medium). If it were me I'd probably go with the larger Maxspect Aeraqua Duo (although it is quite a bit more). I don't have any experience with the Maxspect line but it does looks interesting. I use a Nyos Quantum 160 on my 200-gallon and I probably should've gone with the Quantum 220 as it fills up every week.

Agree with @fishguy242 on the Reef Octopus. Many LFS also swear by Bubble Magus.
The duo would fit in my footprint, I’m just concerned about it not having enough to pull out. The small compact footprint and controllable valves on the pump inlets are every interesting for recirculating

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I upgraded from a 50 gallon with a ro 110sss to a 150. I thought the new filter roller would make it work still but I think I need an upgraded skimmer. I’m looking at the bubble magus curve 7 elite
I’m worried going from a 110 to a 150 won’t be a large enough jump. The 200 is to large and won’t fit in my sump

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The duo would fit in my footprint, I’m just concerned about it not having enough to pull out. The small compact footprint and controllable valves on the pump inlets are every interesting for recirculating
Think of it this way: you'll be potentially emptying it less. If you want to stick with the Reef Octopus it sounds like you're limited to the 150. It looks like it's a few hundred dollars less than the Maxspect as well. My Nyos is an absolute lurking beast and whisper quiet - I can't say enough good things about it. The crap that it pulls out is just unbelievable (weekly cleanings remind me of the school trips to the waste treatment plant when I was a child).

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What’s also confusing is the smaller jump and the large Duo are both rated down to 100gal with a high bio load. Maybe because of the close able valve on the duo?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s also confusing is the smaller jump and the large Duo are both rated down to 100gal with a high bio load. Maybe because of the close able valve on the duo?
Possibly. I find most manufacturers try to encompass the largest possible difference in tank sizes without necessarily going into details for bioload. For example, my Quantum 160 is rated for up to 250 gallons - but the Quantum 120 is rated for up to 125 gallons. So I suspect the Quantum 160 is probably 125/175/250 in terms of heavy/medium/light bioloads, which means I'm probably a bit undersized (since I have a lot of pigs).

OP
OP
BriansBrain

BriansBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm decisions decisions. The largest skimmers I could fit would be a nyos 160, reef octopus regal 150, maxspect airaqua duo or the jump skimmer.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm decisions decisions. The largest skimmers I could fit would be a nyos 160, reef octopus regal 150, maxspect airaqua duo or the jump skimmer.
I really don’t think you can go wrong with any of the skimmers you listed to be honest.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back