Skimmer tuning oxygenation and output bubbles

  • Thread starter Thread starter GSnake
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

GSnake

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 6, 2018
Messages
642
Reaction score
266
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was reading a skimmer tuning article from simplicity aquatics and followed their instructions , closing the air valve slightly and also wedge pipe. The maximum performance for my skimmer was with the wedge pipe nearly fully closed. Which is very little water going back into the aquarium right? The bubbles from the pipe almost stopped at this point too and my foam head was in the right place.

overnight I lost two fish. One wrasse and one anthias. Im guessing it's due to low oxygenation as no other changes were made. They were both eating and fine otherwise too. I have a bit of dinos and gha since my tank is not super mature and im thinking they were using the oxygen up as well. My power heads pointed at the top didn't cut it.

Isn't the wedge pipe open always the best idea? For maximum oxygen and gas exchange. At the same time is there a way I can reduce output bubbles without closing the wedge pipe. Any other suggestions about the fish?
 
Was reading a skimmer tuning article from simplicity aquatics and followed their instructions , closing the air valve slightly and also wedge pipe. The maximum performance for my skimmer was with the wedge pipe nearly fully closed. Which is very little water going back into the aquarium right? The bubbles from the pipe almost stopped at this point too and my foam head was in the right place.

overnight I lost two fish. One wrasse and one anthias. Im guessing it's due to low oxygenation as no other changes were made. They were both eating and fine otherwise too. I have a bit of dinos and gha since my tank is not super mature and im thinking they were using the oxygen up as well. My power heads pointed at the top didn't cut it.

Isn't the wedge pipe open always the best idea? For maximum oxygen and gas exchange. At the same time is there a way I can reduce output bubbles without closing the wedge pipe. Any other suggestions about the fish?
My air is wide open. I use the water flow valve to adjust water height (wet or dry) in the reaction chamber. You should have 2 controls.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new