Skimmer upgrade for 120 gallon with 36 gallon sump

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

so I’ve been debating on upgrading my skimmer for a little while on my 120 gallon 4x2x2. I’m currently running a curve 5 that has definitely done it’s job but I’ve run into issues with higher phosphate numbers as of late. Due to one of my large wrasse (orange back) jumping out and dying and the removal of my regal angle I’ve had the phosphates in check around .10 ppm on a Hannah. I’ve also started to feed only once per day. I was feeding 2-3 times a day with an auto feeder. Fish looked great, however my phosphates at times would reach .20.

I thought I’d run a bio pellet reactor since I was already using a reactor to run phosguard but I’ve heard biopellets won’t help with phosphate. I’m currently quarantining two additional wrasses and a purple tang. I already have a Kole tang, a chocolate tang and several other fish. I’m thinking a skimmer upgrade could help solve my issues but not sure which one to get. I was leaving towards the aquamaxx cones Q2.
Any input is appreciated.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a refugium (opposite light cycle) with chaeto and eshopps bio blocks.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An upgrade skimmer wont do much for po4 but will help control no3, imo.
I ran a Tunze 9410dc on my 120 for over 1.5 years. No3 went from < 5 to 15-20. Upgraded to a 9430dc and no3 runs <5 without any other change.
I recently setup a 30 gallon remote fuge with the goal of reducing the need for gfo.
Never had an issue at up to .4 po4 but tank looks better at <.1.
I do not feed the sps but do feed 15 fish 8+ cubes a day with some pellets.
Everything is an ongoing document in my build thread.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An upgrade skimmer wont do much for po4 but will help control no3, imo.
I ran a Tunze 9410dc on my 120 for over 1.5 years. No3 went from < 5 to 15-20. Upgraded to a 9430dc and no3 runs <5 without any other change.
I recently setup a 30 gallon remote fuge with the goal of reducing the need for gfo.
Never had an issue at up to .4 po4 but tank looks better at <.1.
I do not feed the sps but do feed 15 fish 8+ cubes a day with some pellets.
Everything is an ongoing document in my build thread.
Wow 8 cubes a day in a 120! I was worried about the purple I have in quarantine adding crazy nutrients. Yeah I’m the opposite. I tried chaeto in the past and it would get covered in GHA so I stopped using it and just left the bio blocks. At that time my auto feeder was feeding 3 times a day and then I was feeding 1/2 tbl spoon of mixed frozen and then some nori. Now that I stopped auto feeding and only feed my tank once a day, it dropped my phosphates in half. Just kind of trying different things out now. My nitrates were hovering around 12-15. Haven’t checked recently.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 8 cubes a day in a 120! I was worried about the purple I have in quarantine adding crazy nutrients. Yeah I’m the opposite. I tried chaeto in the past and it would get covered in GHA so I stopped using it and just left the bio blocks. At that time my auto feeder was feeding 3 times a day and then I was feeding 1/2 tbl spoon of mixed frozen and then some nori. Now that I stopped auto feeding and only feed my tank once a day, it dropped my phosphates in half. Just kind of trying different things out now. My nitrates were hovering around 12-15. Haven’t checked recently.
I currently have a large chunk of cheato in my fuge. Also 1 softball size red. I will be removing the cheato and adding at least 3 more balls of red and some blue once I drive to the lfs 4 hours away in a couple weeks.
I dislike chaeto as it falls apart and is not really nice in a display fuge. I keep my 120 build updated so stay tuned for the complete remote fuge growout.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a large chunk of cheato in my fuge. Also 1 softball size red. I will be removing the cheato and adding at least 3 more balls of red and some blue once I drive to the lfs 4 hours away in a couple weeks.
I dislike chaeto as it falls apart and is not really nice in a display fuge. I keep my 120 build updated so stay tuned for the complete remote fuge growout.
Appreciate your replies!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back