Skimmer will not stop creating micro bubbles….

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep looks like it's need to be rotated 180 so the section that doesn't have holes is right above the outlet from the pump.

Screenshot_20220813-091813.png
Alright moved it. Same thing

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same skimmer. I had to raise the skimmer up an inch in the sump and slightly restrict the air flow into the skimmer. this made for bigger bubbles and solved the issue
Thank you. Skimmer has been fine for months. This appeared out of nowhere.
Check the water inlet for anything clogging it, maybe some debris got in there
The inlet is the part that the tube gets connected to in the front?
If you have the bubble plate offset incorrectly you'll get micro bubbles.
See attached.

Attachments

• 01481B9C-6CF9-4012-B925-61614490A227.jpeg
    01481B9C-6CF9-4012-B925-61614490A227.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 80

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright moved it. Same thing
It didn't help? I'm not sure what else it could be. The picture of how you had it assembled was exactly how I had the first time I took it apart.

The unperforated section is supposed to stop/restrict the flow of water from the pump so it doesn't just shoot up into the neck - my speculation on the design intent. If there's too much flow it will push water out the only way out which is the bottom valve-like port at the rear.

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By chance is the pipe that control the outlet of water fully seared?

Also double check the ventury nipple isn't caked with salt. I often have to stick a tooth pick into it to clear it out. Also I would run the tubing that goes into that nipple from the silencer with fresh water to ensure there's nothing clogged in it.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't help? I'm not sure what else it could be. The picture of how you had it assembled was exactly how I had the first time I took it apart.

The unperforated section is supposed to stop/restrict the flow of water from the pump so it doesn't just shoot up into the neck - my speculation on the design intent. If there's too much flow it will push water out the only way out which is the bottom valve-like port at the rear.
I could see how that could be an issue. But this skimmer has been running like that for many many months. Maybe since may. It’s just weird that this randomly started happening

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also double check the ventury nipple isn't caked with salt. I often have to stick a tooth pick into it to clear it out. Also I would run the tubing that goes into that nipple from the silencer with fresh water to ensure there's nothing clogged in it.
I cleaned cleaned it out yesterday lol

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alright so I cleaned it out again

same thing….. there a **** ton of bubbles coming out the back it appears

JamesZ.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inlet is the part that the tube gets connected to in the front?
Yes. check the front of the white inlet, make sure nothing is in there preventing water from being sucked in. In your video, I can see air bubbles coming out the front of the water intake. This makes me think your not getting enough water sucked in.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. check the front of the white inlet, make sure nothing is in there preventing water from being sucked in. In your video, I can see air bubbles coming out the front of the water intake. This makes me think your not getting enough water sucked in.
I just checked again I guess I cna soak it in pure vinegar for a little and see what happens? But it looks clean to me

JamesZ.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I noticed in your video you used the top cap of the skimmer to raise the skimmer. Try taking it out and this will drop your skimmer down deeper into your sump. might help a little too

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I noticed in your video you used the top cap of the skimmer to raise the skimmer. Try taking it out and this will drop your skimmer down deeper into your sump. might help a little too
Alight just did that same results. If I move it to the min setting there isn’t that many bubbles but it overflows like crazy.
If I move it to the max setting it doesn’t overflow as fast but tons of bubblee

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He’s a video a full minute after startup
Thanks for the full video.

Is that your normal water line? If it is too high you'll need to export more water out the skimmer which may contribute to your issue. Raise the skimmer higher so you can reduce the amount of water going out and it may help.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the full video.

Is that your normal water line? If it is too high you'll need to export more water out the skimmer which may contribute to your issue. Raise the skimmer higher so you can reduce the amount of water going out and it may help.
Could this gap be the issue?

Attachments

• EE38E9C5-74AE-4773-B7BE-6A59E2964F0B.jpeg
    EE38E9C5-74AE-4773-B7BE-6A59E2964F0B.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 93

Chee-tomorpha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a not-very-good angle of mine in a reefer 250 - not home at the momente but is a recent photo. I'm dialed in around the #3 mark for that rear valve. See the water level. It's about 7"-8"-ish if I remember correctly.

I'm speculating you've cleaned your skimmer and pump. If so, it probably is working better and creating more bubbles. Since your water level is high, the bubbles would overflow since there's not a lot of space between the water level to the skimmer neck for the bubbles to rise.

Try raising you skimmer so it is in it's within the manufacturer specification 7-8" inches, and see if it'll resolve your issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220813-105848.png
    Screenshot_20220813-105848.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 83

JamesZ.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the video, your getting too much air in and not enough water in. Your skimmer is sitting pretty deep. The intake on mine is approx. 2" from the surface of the water in my sump. Try placing something bigger under the sump to raise it up, then try to adjust the air/water mix intake. see if that helps

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back