Skimmer with DC Pump?

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I have an ESHOPPS S-200 and it is working great. I have an 88G Display with 24G Sump and the S-200 is a little large for it. That said - I'd really like to find a skimmer with a DC pump and I'd prefer the recirculating type.

I see the Regal 200EXT 8" Recirculating Protein Skimmer (VarioS) [ https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/regal-200ext-8-recirculating-protein-skimmer-varios-reef-octopus.html ] fits the bill as far as being DC [I have a VarioS 4 for my return pump and like it] and it is a recirculating style. It does seem to be oversized just like the S-200 - but I can't seem to find anything else with a DC pump that's a reasonable size.

I do really like the built in float switch for the pump to shut it off when the cup gets full although I can rig something with an APEX and Float Switch to shut off the AC skimmer when the cup is full or even better - have it drain to an external container with a float switch - but that still doesn't solve the 'DC Pump' desire.

Recirculating design isn't a necessity but I think it would be nice to have to not have to worry really about the depth of the water in the sump when it comes to tuning the skimmer as well as the option to run the skimmer outside of the sump.

The VarioS4 is 25-40W where as the Sicce PSK-1000 in my ESHOPPS S-200 is 60W. Considering this is running 24/7 it does add up over time.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Magus makes a DC pump skimmer. Deltec use to have one in the US market but I think they may have gone away with them are all now AC pumps.

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the regal 150 non recuirculating and love it. Did some measuring put together an egg crate stand and Ka-pow I'm getting dark coffee sludge. I've also found it easier to tune than my old skimz 121.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the regal 150 non recuirculating and love it. Did some measuring put together an egg crate stand and Ka-pow I'm getting dark coffee sludge. I've also found it easier to tune than my old skimz 121.
I went ahead and ordered this one. I really like my varios return pump and can control both with my apex.

My skimmer water depth is 10.6” I figured I would raise the skimmer 3”?

Now I gotta find somebody to buy my ESHOPPS S-200 ;-)

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the return pump and skimmer at the same time when the big sales were on.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the return pump and skimmer at the same time when the big sales were on.
The price of them isn’t a huge deal as much as having a skimmer I no longer need. I could hold onto it and find a use eventually but rather it go to somebody that will use it even if I lose some money on it.

I was thinking the S-200 was too big for my setup anyhow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back