skimmer

thomasatkinson77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new to salt but new to reefing, would like some input on approximately a 200 gal. system including the sump. What skimmer do you guys recommend, wanna stay between 5 and 600 dollars, was checking out reef octopus what do you think?

Last edited:

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same volume as you and run an xp-2000.
I believe msx also has a cone similiar to it as well as the I-tech cone. Another good option would be one of the Warner Marine skimmers.

Check out the sponsors forums. :)
warner Marine, reef filtration, reefpets, reef specialty, and premium aquatics are on here and carry these skimmer lines. I know there are more, but this is all that comes to mind at the moment.

mr_X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think the cones are overpriced. i haven't seen any data showing that they are actually better either. i think it's mostly about what pump(s) you have on the skimmer, and reaction time.
those sicce pumps are pretty efficient (the ones they use on octopus, MSX, SWC ..and a few other brands), however, they can rattle on start up.

askoll pumps are supposed to e good, and i am hearing good things about bubble blaster pumps that octopus is incorporating now as well.

if i has a 200 gallon system would probably go with one of these-
Reef Octopus SUPER SRO 5000INT In-Sump Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

Reef Octopus Extreme 250 Protein Skimmer by CoralVue* - AquaCave

SWC XTREME 300A Protein Skimmer SWC Xtreme 300A Protein skimmer [SWC Xtreme 300A] - $599.99 : SWC - Salt Water Connection, Protein Skimmers, Calcium Reactors, Filters & Lights

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THe Octo 5000 is too big for that tank. It will not skim consitantly for him. I would however suggest the 3000 model. good bang for buck skimmers.
The Vertex in 180 or 280 are both good choices

How big is the display ? where the load is?
You will probably be looking at the following skimmers, all great choices

ATB 840
WM as200
SRO 3000 series
Vertex in 180 or 280
MSX 250A is good but may be pushing the large size.

Hawkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
euro reef
ASM
impact is also good if you have the room
bubble king but out of your price range
internal or external?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atb is great even a econo 840 would be nice... Look for a used one although there hard to find.. Lol... octos are really good also IMO. Havent played with the new octo cones but Jeremy from reef specialty gave it a great review and currently runs it..;)

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always liked Euroreefs, Aqua Cs and Deltecs in general. Aqua C has fantastic customer service but tends to be a high energy consuming design. All three brands are fairly easy to setup and get reasonable skimming results IME. Of course here as on most boards, you ask what the best skimmer is and you will get dozens (eventually hundreds) of opinions. Quite a few great skimmers out there, pick one you like and learn how to setup/mod it for maximum effectiveness.

That said, I just got a SWC 160 cone to try out on my new half cube build. It was pretty inexpensive and looks well made...but we'll see how it works. I'll post when I can say more about that.

Back