Skimmers, are they really necessary?

jl002837

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a G4 skimmer on my 12+ year system, I also gave a 30 gallon tank with just fish in it with no skimmer, the 30 gallon has algae but no corals so who cares.
The 12+ year system has corals and when the skimmer doesn’t work the slime appears, this I know.
Skimmer yes

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome you got it working for you. Thanks for your input

You should consider being a consultant to the Public Aquariums around the world, you could save them 100s of millions of dollars in large skimming equipment

propeller-bead-filters-installed-los-angeles-zoo-elephant-exhibit.jpg
Well, a 100,000 gallon water change here and there is a bigger deal than a 20 gallon water change here an there and a refugium for a whale tank would be the size of a whale tank and hard to fit under it, so different methods are needed. There's more than one way to fry a duck. I'm sure these operations have a lot more equipment than skimmers that we don't need on a small aquariums to avoid major water changes. Why do 747s need auxiliary power units and hydraulics but a Cessna 152 doesn't? They are both aircraft are they not?

Last edited:

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused if I should use my skimmer or not. Ive not used it any since I set up my tank, but I turned it on last week. I dont notice any difference. Thinking of just taking it off. My corals seem fine without, I just have sofies, and fish have been fine for over a year now. I just dont know. Im worried about the skimmer taking too much out of the water? Its really confusing...

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused if I should use my skimmer or not. Ive not used it any since I set up my tank, but I turned it on last week. I dont notice any difference. Thinking of just taking it off. My corals seem fine without, I just have sofies, and fish have been fine for over a year now. I just dont know. Im worried about the skimmer taking too much out of the water? Its really confusing...
Skimmers take time to break in and start skimming, so you probably wont see much in a week. You are probably going to get bunch of different answers that will add to the confusion. Some say it's harmful, some say not doing it is harmful. However the arguments against skimming seem to be backed by actual scientific studies whereas the arguments for it are more anecdotal. Perhaps it really isn't worth stressing over if the difference is so subtle that people are divided on it. In your case, I might say if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No certainly not necessary and for anyone in the household with respiratory issues or immunocompromised/suppressed is pottentially very dangerous and best avoided altogether due to the fine mist of tank water that become airborne as it operates

Personally wont go near a skimmer myself...my filter feeders are quite pleased about that as well :cool:

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is eating healthy really necessary?
Yes, which is why I don't skim the good stuff out effectively starving my filter feeders. I tried giving them tofu, but they turned their noses up at it. Some say feather dusters don't do well in aquariums long term, they must have skimmers. Mine do fine.

No, you can live on donuts and Mt Dew for quite some time.... well, until your next Drs yearly checkup.
My doctor doesn't ask if I skim. Should I get a different doctor?

I say why denounce things that are proven to yield good results?

You mean like going without a skimmer?

Last edited:

brandon p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is eating healthy really necessary?

No, you can live on donuts and Mt Dew for quite some time.... well, until your next Drs yearly checkup.

I say why denounce things that are proven to yield good results?

Wow. Apples & oranges. Eating well could compare to… feeding your tank well (live foods only and things that can exist in-tank) compared to feeding your tank…over-processed junk food. And let’s compare a skimmer to a walk-in shower with floor drains and a multi-head shower to..,. getting clean by staying clean as possible and taking a shower in a modest, normal tub. So… maybe you should also say that you MUST use a Radion and not a black box light because the PAR is better if it cost more…. I know, you can only drive in a Ferrari because a Corvette just wouldn’t get the job done.

brandon p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's this lil Itty bitty thing called "oxygenation"
Do
Are skimmers really that necessary on all reef tanks?

I personally don’t think they are. I never run skimmers and I can keep any type of coral you can imagine, to include SPS corals.

I think that as long as you have a strong enough and diverse biological filtration (bacteria) your reef tank is set! I always stress it is key to a successful reef tank.

what are your thoughts on this matter of if skimmers are an absolute necessity or not?
I keep seeing these responses where people say things like “you can live off junk food BUT…” or “…OXYGENATION!”
I know that 75% of reefers would fail if they couldn’t BUY their ‘success’. This is what a skimmer does- 1- oxygenates the water and 2- the air bubbles in the column lift particulates to the collection cup. That being said, skimmers provide ZERO BENEFIT to a tank that is oxygen-rich and clean. That is an unarguable fact. Now, do YOU have the TIME, KNOWLEDGE, etc to keep your ecosystem running efficiently without one? I just read like 3 posts and stopped bc they sounded so…. Like there was only 1 right answer.

Last edited:

Puffthefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers are an easy, low-maintenance solution to remove dissolved organics in the water column. They work pretty well for me and my particular schedule and effort that I want to put into my tank.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me, this is like the no water change debate.

can you get by without a skimmer... sure.

will you eventually need to spend time doing other things to make up for no skimmer such as increasing water flow for oxygen exchange, cleaning pumps and filter pads more often, keeping on top of activated carbon, more water changes, denitrifying filters, carbon dosing?

... most definitely

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer the OP, skimmers are not necessary. They are however a great, low maintenance tool that may be of the most value in less mature, high bioload systems.

I think skimmers remove SOME dissolved organic compounds. I don't believe they do a great job of removing the particulate matter that filter feeders use. I do believe that skimmers can strip the water of the DOC's some corals and invertebrates use. I think, particularly when combined with GAC and fine filter socks, the water can be stripped of too much dissolved and particulate organic compounds.

So... I don't use filter socks or GAC on a regular basis. I run my skimmer 24/7 right now because my system is immature. At some point it won't run 24/7, but it will always be part of my system.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

will you eventually need to spend time doing other things to make up for no skimmer such as increasing water flow for oxygen exchange, cleaning pumps and filter pads more often, keeping on top of activated carbon, more water changes, denitrifying filters, carbon dosing?

... most definitely
The only part of your statement that is correct is the part about increased water flow. But high turnover at the surface is more effective than aeration with bubbles anyway, so i use that method regardless. I do notice that without a skimmer I harvest a lot more chaeto, but that takes like 2 seconds once a week or so. No activated carbon, no HLLE for me thank you. I don't use filter pads, just simple sponge filters at the intake of my HOB, which takes care of all the problems you speak of with nothing but Chaeto in it and a blurple grow light. Rinsing out the sponge filters takes a few minutes once or twice per month. No big deal. I did have some ups and downs with nitrate problems when I had a skimmer though, because it was so temperamental and inconsistent. I now have a much more stable system without it. If I had a large tank that was over stocked with an unusually high bio load, I would feel that a skimmer is necessary. Most of the irrational arguments on this forum stem from people making erroneous blanket presumptions about other peoples systems. Sure, if my system was exactly like yours in every way but did not have a skimmer, I might run into problems, but that's not the case.

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

... most definitely
I spend less time. Pads same as when with one, activated carbon, what is that? Water changes, 2% a week, dosing? Nope....My tank won't win any awards, but it lives....the rock is 20+ years old, and maybe that is the deciding factor....so no, not most definitely.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only part of your statement that is correct is the part about increased water flow. But high turnover at the surface is more effective than aeration with bubbles anyway, so i use that method regardless. I do notice that without a skimmer I harvest a lot more chaeto, but that takes like 2 seconds once a week or so. No activated carbon, no HLLE for me thank you. I don't use filter pads, just simple sponge filters at the intake of my HOB, which takes care of all the problems you speak of with nothing but Chaeto in it and a blurple grow light. Rinsing out the sponge filters takes a few minutes once or twice per month. No big deal. I did have some ups and downs with nitrate problems when I had a skimmer though, because it was so temperamental and inconsistent. I now have a much more stable system without it. If I had a large tank that was over stocked with an unusually high bio load, I would feel that a skimmer is necessary. Most of the irrational arguments on this forum stem from people making erroneous blanket presumptions about other peoples systems. Sure, if my system was exactly like yours in every way but did not have a skimmer, I might run into problems, but that's not the case.
This! And yes, surface turbulence is my way of oxygenation. I utilize a simple Aquaclear 50 Hob on a 90 gallon....no sump, no fuge, no skimmer. Rock.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back