Skimmers explained!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers, enough with opinions let’s discuss the facts!

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with the company design of the skimmer I use. I am simply sharing what has worked best for me and my tanks through years of personal experience.

Skimmers provide several factors that benefit marine aquaria.

· Aeration of water which provides oxygen and degassing of co2

· The removal of DOC’s (dissolved organic compounds) and bio-load waste

· Removes bacterial flocks, important when carbon dosing

· Removal of some typical medications like chemiclean

Most of us have used many skimmers and in turn we either sell them or perhaps even end up using them as doorstops. Many of us have asked what makes a skimmer “good”. In attempt to answer this question, I write this article with the hope of streamlining the process of finding the "perfect" skimmer as well as saving you both time and countless dollars.

There is one elemental requirement for a skimmer…AIR. I am fairly certain you know this, in the off chance you didn't, it bears mentioning as I feel it is the most important aspect of the skimming process. Perhaps you ask "what's so important about incorporating air? In truth, it’s less about just air but more about HOW the air is incorporated and how that method of incorporation affects the bubbles. It's ALL about the bubbles.It comes down to this: the volume of air injected, combined with the size of the bubbles dictates how long the air is in contact with the tank water.

Let me explain more in depth…

Bubble size: most skimmers use either a venture or an air stone usually made from lime wood. Air enters the pump and gets chopped up by the needle wheel impeller, then the gets injected into the body of the skimmer or “reaction chamber” and as the air rises, organic materials adhere to the surface of the bubbles. With me so far? There are many manufacturers that use a bubble plate to make the water more turbulent but lack rotation in the chamber.

Volume: the volume of air will be determined by the pump, air volume control and tubing size. Bigger pump + bigger airline = more air!!

Contact time: Do you recall I briefly mentioned bubble plates? They help but could it be better? Yes! The pump itself should be placed at a position to force water against the side of the chamber will cause a slight swirling action which slows the rise of the bubbles, allowing for more contact time.

In other words, air volume, bubble size and contact time are the key characteristics that really exemplify a good skimmer.

I would like to try to specifically identify what I truly believe to be the key mechanical desires I look for in a skimmer design in an effort to maximize the 3 components of air incorporation.

1. A fast DC pump/needle wheel design, large tubing with over-sized air venture:

new-improved-helix-5000-protein.jpg

2. Combination of air meshing and water swirl in the reaction chamber drastically improving contact time while further reducing bubble size.

assemble-chamber-1.jpg

3. Reaction chamber volume and the fact that it is seated at the bottom. Only one way for water to go, up through the meshing rotor.
reaction-chamber.jpg

***The use of these images have been approved through Orphek. Please see full picture content at: https://orphek.com/helix-5000/

Thank you and I hope I have been informative on what makes a GREAT skimmer so effective!

A special thanks to R2R, my wife Mindy, @mdbannister, @GREEF stricken and Orphek for making this post possible.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article Todd!!!
Thank you and everyone who help put this together!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back