OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the sump tank in position in the closet today. Problem is there is no baffles in it yet. When I do the change over I plan on placing all my critters rock and coral into the sump tank and when all the dirty work is done with moving the sand and filling the tank I will place the critters in the DT. After that is done I plan to go sumpless for a few days while I get the baffles all glued in. But in order to get the sump in and out of the closet I have to take the shelf out that will hold the frag tank and fridge so it is all ready to screw in but not yet.

You can see the sump sitting on it's shelf, I placed a light over it just to see it and the flash didn't go off so the pic kinda sucks.

DSCN2777.jpg

Second pic showing the upper shelf where the frag tank and fridge will sit.

DSCN2778.jpg

And the sump tank just sitting waiting for some critters.

DSCN2779.jpg

Next step is to get some electrical outlets and possibly a bathroom type exhaust fan in there.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skinz I like the name of your thread *wink* lol. New tanks are always exciting. I wish you success with your new build :) Keep us updated

RZ5T

Heart Breaker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL no pump yet, waiting on the delivery guy! Should be here at the end of the week.

Santa forgot to stop by, and when he got back to the North Pole he had to ship it via fedex. LOL

Progress is looking good. As for the pump in the overflow box I don't see it as a problem as long as you only punch through that first layer of the box. Wouldn't want the pump pulling the gunk from the surface of your water back in the display. Just my opinion and I'm sure there are some that disagree.

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK is this a bad idea? I think I have room in between my overflow and return pipe inside my overflow box to drill through the overflow box and position a Maxijet 1200 in there to blow water out into the DT in between the LR sort of like a mini closed loop? In this pic which is looking top down into the overflow box you can see the 2 holes in the overflow box and also you can see that the box itself has two layers for circulation so I would have to drill through them both.

And this is a pic of the outside of the box. You can see two seperate sections of slits in the outside layer of it. I want to position the pumps centered in between the slits.

Is this a good idea or will I be creating a problem?

Problem I think unless its drawing from the tank not the overflow chamber, it will increase the draw of the lower slots (thats good) but it will probably reduce the amount of crap sent to the sump and blow it back into the dt, also Murphies law of "any pump put in an awkward, hard to reach area will fail" there won't be much room in there once the pipes and the silencer go in. What about just plumbing some 1/2'' pipe instead and have the pump remote?

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have thought about the pumps failing and I think I am going to hold off on putting them in there.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am making some progress kind of. I have to move bedrooms and my office around to be able to tear the wall out to add the tank. I am in the process of turning my daughters old pink clad bedroom into my sons new non pink clad bedroom. I tore the pink carpet out last night and now we are repainting it. Once that is done I will re floor it with some Pergo we purchased last night. Then in go's the boy.

Once he is in I move my office into his old room and start the deconstruction. I should have the stand built by the end of next weekend.

I just got done talking to my step sons real dad who is the go to guy for decorative concrete here and he told me he would do me a counter top with decorative shell design around the edges for free!!! I am super stoked on that one!

Breaks over back to painting....

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ask him if he can embed some dead acro skeletons then polish it back, clam shells?????

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I could put my daughter in it, she is a terror and I think in a few years she is going to have every young teenage boy knocking on the door....

I just drove the last trim nail into my sons room, Shellie and the kids are moving him into it right now. I'll get a pic when they are done.

LOL I have a feeling this wall is coming down today!

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic's!!!

My sons new room, I painted, and put the Pergo flooring in it.

DSCN2803.jpg

This is a view from my current office and what will become the dining room. The tank will sit just to the left of the broom and the sump will be in the closet.

DSCN2806.jpg

You can see where my current tank is sitting in relation to where the new tank will be.

DSCN2807.jpg

Looking from the kitchen into my office, lol everything is messy cause I sent my wife to Home Depot and didn't tell her I was removing the wall today. When she returned home I had it gone.. I had to quickly move a bunch of stuff and just kinda scattered it. I figured she would be mad when she got home but she was super excited!

DSCN2808.jpg

I may get a stand framed up tomorrow. I am beat tired now so I'm done for the night.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back