Skip the dip - Who do you trust?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit, I get lazy sometimes. I also get a bit paranoid with expensive corals, not wanting to stress them out further immediately after shipping. I skipped the dip on my last orders from Cherry Corals and Battlecorals, instead relying on close visual inspection.

Which online coral vendors, if any, do you trust not dipping new coral purchases?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust any of them. Everyone makes mistakes. Adam is one of the best in the business when it comes to pest prevention, but still, things happen. All it takes is a single AEFW escaping his QT procedure. If that makes it onto a coral that he sends you before he realizes the problem, all your acros are as good as dead.

I got a Battlebox from Adam earlier this week and it's in QT now. It'll stay there for at least 2 weeks, maybe not the full month since Adam has such a good reputation. But still, they didn't go right in my tank.

OP
OP
Cell

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bryan68 I always dip WWC purchases. I noticed on my last purchase they recommend waiting to dip until 24 hrs or so after placing in your tank which I thought seemed rather risky.

@Miszka I'm curious why you find the need to dip your own corals already in your own system

@chipmunkofdoom2 You don't dip, just QT instead or both?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always dip. If you are recieving some expensive corals and you want them wet ASAP. Set up a coral 10g QT tank. Use water and some seed rock from your DT. Get them wet and once they have bounced back. Then dip and drop in the DT.

Miszka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bryan68 I always dip WWC purchases. I noticed on my last purchase they recommend waiting to dip until 24 hrs or so after placing in your tank which I thought seemed rather risky.

@Miszka I'm curious why you find the need to dip your own corals already in your own system

I have separate systems. dang knows what I can find there;)

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I saw that too, I decided to dip immediately.

Zenchi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust no one. I have a family friend in the coral business and still dip things that come out of his facility. All it takes it once to have a major issue due to one coral. I completely get the concern with stressing a sensitive piece but even the guy I get my corals from said always dip your corals, even if I receive them from him.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit, I get lazy sometimes. I also get a bit paranoid with expensive corals, not wanting to stress them out further immediately after shipping. I skipped the dip on my last orders from Cherry Corals and Battlecorals, instead relying on close visual inspection.

Which online coral vendors, if any, do you trust not dipping new coral purchases?

I will always dip from now on. I just recently got a frag from a reputable vendor who has always had clean frags. Well this time one acro had one red bug on it. If I didn't dip my tank would now have red bugs.

OP
OP
Cell

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust no one. I have a family friend in the coral business and still dip things that come out of his facility. All it takes it once to have a major issue due to one coral. I completely get the concern with stressing a sensitive piece but even the guy I get my corals from said always dip your corals, even if I receive them from him.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Adam recommends dipping as well, even as he maintains a hyper-meticulous pest regimen himself. But it also makes sense that any vendor would universally recommend dipping out of an abundance of precaution regardless of how clean they know their system is.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what specifically are y'all using to dip?
These:
4A740DF0-3C40-462A-912D-3DFA5E4F80E9.jpeg

15 min in each following each product (these are deluded with tank water too.) with 2 5 min dips in clean tank water.

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip every single coral, no matter the source. Having discovered some coral pests in even some of the most highly respected sellers in the hobby, it's important to recognize that looks can be deceiving (even to the grower). In some cases, the population of whatever pest is kept in check in their systems (and would not be in yours) and in other cases, the volume of coral moving through that location/facility is so high that coral's may acquire a pest, but that pest might not have enough time to repopulate so that you could visually see the infestation.

I don't think these vendors are suggesting people dip as a way of CYA- it's because they know there is no way to gauruntee their systems are 100% pest free. Some might take all the right steps and be absolutely incredible (better than you or I might do), but no amount of dipping, QTing, or visual inspection is 100% bulletproof every time. Dipping or QTing new coral is just another safeguard to try and minimize risk.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHich leads to the next question... how long are different people dipping in Bayer? I've seen vastly differing times.

I don't dip as long as many folks here do. Even with Bayer -- which I consider very gentle -- its only about 5 minutes. However, I am basting, more like blasting them the whole time. With a Maxjet 1200 and silicone hose.

Back