Skip the dip - Who do you trust?

Clarinuto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dip. No matter who I purchase from. I dip with CoralRX and then with Revive and my corals seem to do pretty well after.

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never dipped - the shops in question told me they dipped and I could if I wanted but they stuck by their own quality. To date I’ve not seen anything untoward but appreciate they could be well hidden - I do look every night with a critter torch.

thermoJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to dip, but I found it definitely stressed out the corals, and it wasn't uncommon to lose some, especially if they arrived in poor shape. Also, on some of the more toxic dips, if the frags weren't rinsed well, I lost inverts from the carryover. However, I really don't think the dips (any of them) do that much. Even though I would dip (I think I've tried them all, including the general home depot ones), in the end I still ended up getting acropora eating flatworms, montipora eating nudibranchs, and red bugs because I don't think there is any dip that kills the eggs (unless there is some new developments there). I usually do a microscopic inspection, then break/cut the frags off their plugs and glue them to new plugs/rocks. Best would be to have a quarantine tank that you could put new frags into for several months (but I have yet to do that).

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy acropora these days, mostly online. I no longer dip corals right away. I inspect visually, then let them sit in an LPS tank for a few days to de-stress. Then dip.

I am only expecting the dip to stun the pests, so I can baste them off.

And no @thermoJoe nothing kills eggs yet. That is still manual work.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything, except Sponges and some filter feeders which i find dipping just either stresses or kills. I use CoralRX and then with Revive.
I shake vigorously and use a brush as well.

But I must say that I am also disappointed at the other good life that dipping kills. Take a look at your water after dipping and see how much good life gets killed off.

Sometimes I will also just QT for a week or two and I am considering doing this as a default, inspect under strong lights and magnifying glass/microscope for future purchases.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Bayer, but I cannot impress enough the need to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, then rinse...... I wiped out all my inverts when I was not as attentive as I should have been in dipping coral. I had a beautiful Pistol shrimp that I sent into a neuro-spasms!!!!! I have never felt so bad......
Which Bayer are you using now

MoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very interesting and well timed discussion for me and would love feedback from the group. I always dip my corals before they go to the display before and after QT. I recently shut off the QT because of space issues and I have a major coral haul inbound tomorrow. All corals are inbound from Jason Fox and among them are some super high end sps including a homewrecker and Walt Disney. Don’t know if I’m going to dip the homewrecker. My thinking is that if Jason fox had any major pest in his tank he would have major impact to his business and reputation. Idunno what you guys think?

OP
OP
Cell

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started this thread I actually assumed there would be more reefers that would forgo dipping, but I was mistaken. It seems like high end vendor or not, dipping remains the practice.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For acropora, I think Coral Rx and Melafix Marine are sufficiently aggressive treatments for aefw. As long as you are basting hard. I have killed a few frags and colonies with it. They just went brown and never came back. And this is NOT out of the bag, but later. Maybe just me. But not isolated and only after 5-6 minutes immersed but heavily basted.

Bayer is "softer" IMO. I never lost a frag or colony. Until you pour off the excess, you cannot see if the colony is shedding worms. I use a 2 quart glass vessel that helps, (looking from bottom up) but still painful.

No matter what, you have to hunt eggs under magnification.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best dips for aefw , red bugs , black bugs ? !
For acropora, I think Coral Rx and Melafix Marine are sufficiently aggressive treatments for aefw. As long as you are basting hard. I have killed a few frags and colonies with it. They just went brown and never came back. And this is NOT out of the bag, but later. Maybe just me. But not isolated and only after 5-6 minutes immersed but heavily basted.

Bayer is "softer" IMO. I never lost a frag or colony. Until you pour off the excess, you cannot see if the colony is shedding worms. I use a 2 quart glass vessel that helps, (looking from bottom up) but still painful.

No matter what, you have to hunt eggs under magnification.
what kind of magnifying are we talking about a microscope? or like magnifying glass

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tightened up my list of places to buy corals and don’t do frag swaps. I’m going to upset folks with my opinion but I feel dipping in a extremely overrated process that probably causes more harm than good. If I was a vendor and I had frags coming in bulk to place in my large holding tanks then yes I’m going to dip especially if I am am making cuts of wild colonies but I find it’s easier as I drip acclimate to blow off the corals to see what comes off rather than dip. I spend a lot of time inspecting with an eyeglass as I acclimate.

The problem that I have with dipping is that none of them and I absolutely 100% mean none of them will kill eggs. Eggs are the problem and are generally where we get out infestations of AEFW. You see a hitchhiker of a flatworm sitting on one of your coral frags it will easily blow off but most likely has laid eggs are ready. Other things like Aiptasia, Xenia and nuisance algae often survive dips too.

This is why intake solutions for eradicating pests are so important to me. We are all on borrowed time some of us are very lucky some of us are not and dipping does give an extreme false sense of security.

I also switches to buying small frags as it’s much safer than buying large wild colonies.

I get really triggered when I read regurgitated trash advice that claims dipping corals prevents AEFW.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 129 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.2%
Back