Skunk Shrimp killed baby Green Crab!

Metro44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys ever heard of a skunk shrimp killing a green emerald crab after it molts? Yeah mine just did that

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you watch it kill it? Is it possible that the crab died in some other manner and the shrimp was using it as a meal of opportunity? I've had plenty of shrimp and crabs together in previous tanks and never saw anything like this...

OP
OP
M

Metro44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you watch it kill it? Is it possible that the crab died in some other manner and the shrimp was using it as a meal of opportunity? I've had plenty of shrimp and crabs together in previous tanks and never saw anything like this...
Nah he murdered it watched it I thought he was cleaning him at first I couldnt believe it honestly never seen a crab molt so I was watching the whole time ripped his soft meat out

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had skunk cleaner shrimp with emerald crabs for decades, never seen this happen. That being said, I got my first RFA about 7 months ago and my skunk cleaner shrimp began picking at it relentlessly and kept it closed after 2 days it disappeared never to be seen again. I suppose like fish they are individuals and some can just do things out of the ordinary.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seeing is believing - wrong place at the wrong time - sorry little crab guy

I would not hesitate getting another - perhaps larger one if the EGC is there for valonia control - as mine are

But I too have had a LARGE pair of shrimp in with crabs for years

OP
OP
M

Metro44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, maybe it ate the molt, or your animals are all starving to death, or the crab died during the molt
Hes probably the most fed one I feed him personally everyday which was weird to me but he was alive when he grabbed him he tried running away maybe too rough idk

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp are opportunistic and a freshly molted baby crab would be an easy meal. Not surprised to be honest.

I am not a big fan of most shrimp in reef tanks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back