Sky hight No3

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... for the last month i have like skyhigh No3.
And it just wont go down.
after this month everything seems to be fine but im getting more and more algea.
also im doing almost daylie water changes but it wont help (also using No3Po2X from RedSea)
But it keeps staying at 50. anyhelp anyone.
im using the Red Sea Testkits for it.
this are my other parameters.
Cal:510
Mag:1410
KH:11,5
No2: 0
No3: 50
Phosphates:0,1

Anyone have an idea what the issue is?
al the coral is open except for some zoanthids
but al the softies love it.

Salps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a little more information. Tanks size, filtration (ex. Cheto, Skimmer, ATS, filter socks etc?), how much do you feed. How old is the tanks? How long were the nitrate high? Are you seeing any algae grow and then die off turn brown/black? That nutrient cycle can take weeks. Your alkalinity & calcium are a little high. Most people target alkalinity 8-10 & calcium 380-450. If you try to lower Alk do it slowly, like less than .5 in a 24 hour period is my rule.

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need a little more information. Tanks size, filtration (ex. Cheto, Skimmer, ATS, filter socks etc?), how much do you feed. How old is the tanks? How long were the nitrate high? Are you seeing any algae grow and then die off turn brown/black? That nutrient cycle can take weeks. Your alkalinity & calcium are a little high. Most people target alkalinity 8-10 & calcium 380-450. If you try to lower Alk do it slowly, like less than .5 in a 24 hour period is my rule.

I have a Blue Marine Reef 60
63 liters of water
with led lights on for around +- 12 hours a day.
I also have a skimmer.
i have cheto but not in this tank dont have the room for it :/.
no filter socks
have alot of algea growth
no die off
the tank is now around 14 months old. (1.2 year)
the nitrates are like this for around 1 almost 2 months.
i know my cal is hight and i let it lower naturally
and ill try to lower my kh

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Marine Reef 60
63 liters of water
with led lights on for around +- 12 hours a day.
I also have a skimmer.
i have cheto but not in this tank dont have the room for it :/.
no filter socks
have alot of algea growth
no die off
the tank is now around 14 months old. (1.2 year)
the nitrates are like this for around 1 almost 2 months.
i know my cal is hight and i let it lower naturally
and ill try to lower my kh
Welcome to R2R! What's the bioload like in your tank? And what brand + model is your skimmer?

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i have 5 fish, a sea urchin and 1 snail, also have lots of corals and have the Skim 130. (it comes with the tank)

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 blue damsel, 1 tail spot blenny, 1 royal something... it has a yellow tail and purple body/head.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 blue damsel, 1 tail spot blenny, 1 royal something... it has a yellow tail and purple body/head.
Royal gramma. Anyways, that's far too many fish for a 16 gallon aquarium especially with the stock filtration. I'd say a tank like that can hold 3 small fish max.

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal gramma. Anyways, that's far too many fish for a 16 gallon aquarium especially with the stock filtration. I'd say a tank like that can hold 3 small fish max.
so... should i get rid of 2? or 3? becouse i want to keep the royal and the tail spot blenny (love how he pokes his head out <3)

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so... should i get rid of 2? or 3? becouse i want to keep the royal and the tail spot blenny (love how he pokes his head out <3)
Well then I'd say get rid of the damsels. They'll probably start problems eventually anyways, as they're pretty aggressive, so it kills 2 birds with one stone. You could get a cleaner shrimp to liven things up without a 3rd fish ;) (only once nitrates are stable though)

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then I'd say get rid of the damsels. They'll probably start problems eventually anyways, as they're pretty aggressive, so it kills 2 birds with one stone. You could get a cleaner shrimp to liven things up without a 3rd fish ;) (only once nitrates are stable though)
oke i will put them up for sale.
after they are gone water changes daylie?
and for how much %

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oke i will put them up for sale.
after they are gone water changes daylie?
and for how much %
I'd recommend a big water change and then lower it over time with smaller water changes. I'd also recommend upgrading the filtration at some point. Plenty of people on this site can help you do that

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend a big water change and then lower it over time with smaller water changes. I'd also recommend upgrading the filtration at some point. Plenty of people on this site can help you do that
What do you meen by upgrade becouse its an all in 1 setup and dont really see a way to upgrade it that much .
but atleast thank you very much for the tips ill try to do all of this.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you meen by upgrade becouse its an all in 1 setup and dont really see a way to upgrade it that much .
but atleast thank you very much for the tips ill try to do all of this.
There are ways to DIY upgrade such things. Again when you get to that point the people in the hardware/DIY/all in one tank forum can assist you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
To no offense, it sounds like youre chasing the parameters. Take some time to enjoy your system. In the mean time assuming your test kit is accurate, get a second opinion from your LFS by taking a water sample there for comparison.
Let your inhabitants talk to you........unless corals are doing poorly or bleaching or fish are distressed, let it takes its' course.
Consider a resin you can place in your sump or reactor to help lower or keep it in check, and reduce feedings per schedule. A little food is better than NO food at all.
Also, dr. Tims no3 can be of benefit and help with the battle as are similar product, but no medicine cabinet required.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont really think NO3 of 50 is "sky high". Its higher than optimal and you should fix any bioload/husbandry issues but I wouldnt do anything too drastic.

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To no offense, it sounds like youre chasing the parameters. Take some time to enjoy your system. In the mean time assuming your test kit is accurate, get a second opinion from your LFS by taking a water sample there for comparison.
Let your inhabitants talk to you........unless corals are doing poorly or bleaching or fish are distressed, let it takes its' course.
Consider a resin you can place in your sump or reactor to help lower or keep it in check, and reduce feedings per schedule. A little food is better than NO food at all.
Also, dr. Tims no3 can be of benefit and help with the battle as are similar product, but no medicine cabinet required.
Yea i really try to get the numbers as what is recommended but maby you guys are right and i could probbably use an second oppinion.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, to verify that your testing is accurate, do an 8 gallon water change and then test for nitrates immediately after your water change. A 50% water change should halve your nitrate reading from 50 to 25 ppm. This is of course assuming that you are using RODI water with 0 TDS for your water changes, correct?

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, to verify that your testing is accurate, do an 8 gallon water change and then test for nitrates immediately after your water change. A 50% water change should halve your nitrate reading from 50 to 25 ppm. This is of course assuming that you are using RODI water with 0 TDS for your water changes, correct?
i have an rodi unit with 3 stages and bought new filters 1 month ago. but i can get below 8 tds

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back