Sky hight No3

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean to say you can’t get below 8 TDS?

If so, this seems like it could be the underlying problem with your high nitrates. What RO membrane are you using (GPD) and how old is it? Do you know what your incoming TDS is?

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you mean to say you can’t get below 8 TDS?

If so, this seems like it could be the underlying problem with your high nitrates. What RO membrane are you using (GPD) and how old is it? Do you know what your incoming TDS is?
8 is the lower i ever got and i have an 3 stage RODI machine i dont really know where i got it from again.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without specifics, it’ll be difficult to diagnose what your issues are.

If you could find out what RO membrane you’re using... 50, 75, 90 or 100 gpd as well as your TDS reading straight from the faucet, that will help figure out why you can’t get lower than 8 TDS from the unit.

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without specifics, it’ll be difficult to diagnose what your issues are.

If you could find out what RO membrane you’re using... 50, 75, 90 or 100 gpd as well as your TDS reading straight from the faucet, that will help figure out why you can’t get lower than 8 TDS from the unit.
i use 50 i believe

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one of the filters a DI stage? Or are you running 1 sediment filter and 2 carbon blocks?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My point in asking questions is this...

A top of the line Dow Filmtec 50 GPD membrane has a 98% rejection rate. If you’re not running a DI stage and everything is running optimally, then your incoming TDS must be at 400 if your product water is 8.

That’s why I’m asking if you know what your incoming TDS from the faucet is. If it’s lower than 400, then there may be a problem with your membrane or unit.

Furthermore, if you’re also running a DI stage and getting 8 TDS, then we have more problems that we need to troubleshoot for.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
likely doesn't have a di stage or the di resin is completely spent.. If he's getting 8 tds then the membrane is likely working because sediment and carbon blocks alone wouldn't bring it down to that level. gl

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
likely doesn't have a di stage or the di resin is completely spent.. If he's getting 8 tds then the membrane is likely working because sediment and carbon blocks alone wouldn't bring it down to that level. gl

I’m guessing the OP has one of those “buddy” type RO units. But that’s why I’m asking a myriad of questions to ultimately get to the source of the high nitrate issues that is plaguing the OP. Based on what we know so far, it looks as though the water used to make new saltwater may potentially be the culprit.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an rodi unit with 3 stages and bought new filters 1 month ago. but i can get below 8 tds

You cannot get below 8 TDS? Are you on well water? In a city? Did you replace the R/O membrane also a month ago? If so did you flush 30-45 gallons through it before making water for your tank?

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot get below 8 TDS? Are you on well water? In a city? Did you replace the R/O membrane also a month ago? If so did you flush 30-45 gallons through it before making water for your tank?

i replace every compartmend and no i did not l=flush it...
are you supposed to do that? XD

OP
OP
M

Mr-TorchCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing the OP has one of those “buddy” type RO units. But that’s why I’m asking a myriad of questions to ultimately get to the source of the high nitrate issues that is plaguing the OP. Based on what we know so far, it looks as though the water used to make new saltwater may potentially be the culprit.
im using a osmopure 50 ba

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i replace every compartmend and no i did not l=flush it...
are you supposed to do that? XD

Yes before the first use you should flush the membrane with 30-40 gallons of water. There is a preservative in the membrane that needs to be flushed out before use. This could be part of your problem.

Last edited:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back