Sleeper banded goby

jic22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys does anyone have experience with these guys? I got one a few days ago and he seems happy and healthy. I don’t have any sand sifters so I thought he’d help. He’s currently digging tunnels moving a ton of sand and has made the tank dirty. Granted it’s been set up for around 6 years with no sand shifters. So I thought he may just be having a field day and will settle down once the bed is fairly clean. Any advice will help.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and regret getting him super cool fish but dang. Sand bed is so clean from him on a the plus side but he’s always creating rock slides. He will never stop that’s what they do. Just like my maroon always making a mess in the sand as well. It’s like a war zone in my tank.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and regret getting him super cool fish but dang. Sand bed is so clean from him on a the plus side but he’s always creating rock slides. He will never stop that’s what they do. Just like my maroon always making a mess in the sand as well. It’s like a war zone in my tank,
If you put your foundation stones on the glass itself and properly secure everything above it, that will help some.

OP
OP
J

jic22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine if he'll clean the bed really well. He's just getting a layer of filth everywhere so probably a good thing he's doing this.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's fine if he'll clean the bed really well. He's just getting a layer of filth everywhere so probably a good thing he's doing this.
I do have a question for you, as I'm considering getting one. Does he tend to dump the sand from up higher, or stay very close to the bed when he's sifting?

OP
OP
J

jic22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive only had im a short while but he seems to be staying close to the sand bed. I will say the hills hes making are pure white so it may be worth it. He hasnt eaten anything ive given though thats suspended he waits till it hits the sand.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive only had im a short while but he seems to be staying close to the sand bed. I will say the hills hes making are pure white so it may be worth it. He hasnt eaten anything ive given though thats suspended he waits till it hits the sand.
Thank you :) The waiting until it hits the sand would be about standard for sifters. He is eating it once it does, though, correct?

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question for you, as I'm considering getting one. Does he tend to dump the sand from up higher, or stay very close to the bed when he's sifting?
Mine mostly does it low, but he definitely does come up and do it as well. you end up with sand covers rocks. If they don’t fall over first.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back