Sleeper Goby Disappearance Due To Polyclad Flatworm Toxin?

DeLegge90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a sleeper goby to my tank about 2 months ago, and it went missing about 3 days ago. No major changes to water parameters - everything kept in check. I have the tank covered so it couldn't have jumped, it has plenty of fine sand to sift through, as well as plenty of hiding spots, and was seen out in the open and eating only a day or two before it went missing. I tried looking everywhere to see if it chose a new spot for hiding, but it is MIA (even during feeding time). One thing comes to mind though: I removed a nasty polyclad flatworm (manually removed with a net) from the tank a couple days before the goby went missing, and I'm starting to think it left behind a lethal toxin on the sandbed when it was slithering all over looking for a meal, and then shortly after the goby gobbled up the toxic sand. Sounds kind of farfetched, but I haven't ruled it out yet as a potential cause. I have read polyclad flatworm toxin is lethal to gastropods, but is it lethal to certain fish?

Any ideas of what could have gone wrong would be much appreciated! Polyclad Flatworm(2).jpg

Attachments

• sleeper goby.mp4
    1.3 MB

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Randall’s Goby who went MIA for 2 months. I looked and looked and never could find him (I assumed he died) then one day he made a new burrow in the front of the tank and I was shockingly surprised. Just keep an eye out I’m sure he’s in there somewhere

Qasim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello sorry to bring this thread back up again, but I have recently bought a gold headed sleeper goby and on the next day of purchase it went missing. Its almost a week now and no sign dead or alive shall I give up on it will its dead body cause an ammonia spike in the tank. My tank details are as follow:

100 gallon water things getting checked nitrate is a little bit high around 50ish and I have a brown slime algae issue on my sand. so got him with the aim to stir the sand bed and clear up from the brown slime algae.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back