OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm a little perturbed that I have been battling some increasing diatoms for the last week or so. I realized today while feeding that there was no output from my TUNZE Comline nano filter that I run chemi-pure blue in. It was plugged in but the pump had stopped. After pulling from the tank and checking different outlets pulling my media bag out I removed the cover from the pump and the impeller immediately started spinning. So basically I have been running my tank without filtration for at least a day or two. It's back in the tank now. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and if it happens again it's going back to TUNZE. Other than that all is well. I'll put a short video at the bottom.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9xcfafnvcwe1j0/Video Aug 31, 4 43 09 PM.mov?dl=0

OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 Nassarius snails today to hopefully stir the sandbed a bit and decrease the appearance of diatoms. They pretty much went directly to the corners of the tank and buried themselves. Maybe I'll see them tomorrow?
d0623344527588388d344e911d41d768.jpg

OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a pretty heavy feeding today since tomorrow is my weekly water change. I haven't seen much of my nassarius snails until I put some frozen mysis in the tank. I had to blast this little guy off my Duncan. Didn't realize they could be so aggressive when there is food in the water! Thanks for those that are following along.

c621801508897d4652f48d68d9ae725f.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since I have done an update: my current stock list includes.
My two ocellaris clowns
Aussie Duncan
Acan
Purple tip green frogspawn
And zoanthid frag I need to ID
A few various snails.
I’ll include one of my recent pictures, I’ll take some more soon. thanks for following along!
37617a38bd3cf4b90c2fc6453b3d916e.jpg

OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d was about time for a little update , since my last post there have been a few events.

One clown was being bullied and I found him dead and stuck to the power head.

Replaced him with a royal Gramma today so now the inhabitants are an ocelaris clown and the Royal Gramma. We’ll see who rules the tank soon enough.

I also spotted an Aptasia today! I’m beyond frustrated with that because it is in a piece of rock that was dead when the tank was set up 9 months ago, and I haven’t seen any since week 2 and I pulled all affected rock out of the tank. I have a post in the hitchhiker section and I’m not sure on what my plan is yet.

My TUNZE comline nano has been a pain then the *** . Always stopped pulling water from the top, basically making it useless. So I’ve gone back to the basic HOB with carbon and chemi-pure blue.

Here are some pics from today.
3fdab05a32bced1f25a83a4bb8949675.jpg

OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added two peppermint shrimp today in hopes that they will make short work of the one Aptasia that I can see and any more that I can’t see. I figured it was worth he $20 for the possibility of not tearing apart my tank.

We shall see if it works.

OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

A little update today, they peppermint shrimp made short work of my Aptasia and then went to town on my LPS!

So I know they are supposed to be reef safe, but I actually saw one of them feeding on my Duncan. I was going to video it but I just had to get it out of there. So this is my reminder to myself. Not everything that is supposed to be reef safe actually is.

OP
OP
sleeper

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a while since my last update so I decided to to a full tank shot. I have upgraded from the 7 gallon to a 20 long and ditched the tunze comline because the sensitivity to the water level was too much for me to keep up with and too precise for the osmolator to keep without causing the comline to either not surface skim or to suck air. So I switched to a Seachem tidal 55, dropped the water level a little bit and have been much happier with the level of maintenance that I have to put in. I should have put an ATO on a loooong time ago. Anyway enjoy the pics, thanks for those who have followed along. I forgot to mention I added a 12 line wrasse and he had lost him and my royal gramma to ich. I know to quarantine and I just decided not to, roll the dice, and I lost.
ce414d0fcd2d4f44c4553b1314ce52a9.jpg
18de238c4a0ece2d898a1f84ca334db3.jpg
2638a1464bac6150c5de23c7d6ed8594.jpg
1cf0d18f09cd9fb82570ceb343700db9.jpg

Back