SLEEPING FISH???……..Well Not Exactly!!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female mandarin sleeps in the corner of my tank with her tail backed up to the corner on the sandbed. First time I saw it, I thought it was dead. Ever see a sleeping dragonette? They turn very pale, almost white when sleeping.

ajxackt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some others have said, my clowns also sleep in a corner up by the return nozzle. The thing that freaks me out the most is that my black extreme misbar turns completely white at night

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do your fish sleep like you do?…….NO. Fish more or less, Day dream like we do. They don’t nearly shut down consciousness like we do.

2. Do your fish close their eyes when they sleep?……..No. They have no eyelids.

3. Although Dolphins shut down half of their brain while the other side swims and stands guard.
E92E26B1-1212-4F50-B9AA-62361E5F2444.gif

“WHAT STRANGE SLEEPING HABITS DO YOUR FISH HAVE” ???

All mine sleep under the rocks.

Yellowtail blue damsel has finned out a little burrow between a rock and the back glass.

No idea where my six line wrasse goes... he hides really well.

Blenny usually goes to his hole in the rocks.

And my tang hangs out is a small crevice under a archway.

The shrimp "sleep" during the day hanging out upside down under archways.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my pistol shrimp just takes naps because I see him out and about moving sand all over during the day and night. I guess this means his partner (my Hi Fin goby) also just take naps because whenever McShrimpy is out, so is he. My clown gobies sleep in the fake coral I have in my tank until my real coral grows out.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my pistol shrimp just takes naps because I see him out and about moving sand all over during the day and night. I guess this means his partner (my Hi Fin goby) also just take naps because whenever McShrimpy is out, so is he. My clown gobies sleep in the fake coral I have in my tank until my real coral grows out.

Pretty sure my pistol shrimp doesn't sleep, either. It's never a bad time of day to move sand! Wish I had that kind of energy!

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost all of my fish have their own little spots that they like to go to sleep. My blue tang is the funniest though… it has a decoy spot where it hides during the day if it wants to get away, but it has a completely different sleeping spot that it never, ever goes in until it’s time for lights out. My Scooter Blenny sleeps under the sand, which freaked me out in the beginning because I had no idea they did that. Sometimes I’ll just see his eyes poking out, watching me. Lol
I have a couple fish that I swear never sleep though… my Fiji Puffer and my Pixy Hawkfish always seem to be awake any time I check in on them.

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clowns wedge themselves between the hang on back and the glass to sleep. The Banggai actually lowers behind a rock near the glass that has xenia on it.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still setting up my tank and will have a conundrum when it’s running and has livestock. Right now if I have a night that I’m not sleeping well I stay up very late and work on the empty tank. However with fish in I won’t be able to do that. The tank’s room will have to remain dark for the night so the fish can sleep as not to disturb their sleep/wake cycle. And in a room with lights out I won’t have enough light to work with.

Marinenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do your fish sleep like you do?…….NO. Fish more or less, Day dream like we do. They don’t nearly shut down consciousness like we do.

2. Do your fish close their eyes when they sleep?……..No. They have no eyelids.

3. Although Dolphins shut down half of their brain while the other side swims and stands guard.
E92E26B1-1212-4F50-B9AA-62361E5F2444.gif

“WHAT STRANGE SLEEPING HABITS DO YOUR FISH HAVE” ???
My hubby used to laugh when I’d say I’m putting the fish to bed and turn off the light on my tropical tank. Now I have a timer on my light on the saltwater tank and they all put themselves to bed!! They all have a little place they will go at night (except my pipefish that kinda just floats around at all hours). Even the seahorses seem to hitch on down low somewhere. The tank looks empty at night.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back