Slight issue with (another) Clownfish? Small white spot at mouth area

dtdream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I noticed my clownfish has a small white spot at the mouth area for the past 3-4days. I'm not sure what it is, though I'm pretty sure it's not white spot as there is only 1 spot.

I'm not sure if it's just a small skin tear or is it some sort of bacterial or fungal infection? Or parasite? Water parameters are good. nitrates now only maybe 0.5ppm. ammonia 0.

Pics are not very clear but any idea on what it is potentially? And also, if I should just leave it alone or should I start treating it with something?

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not unusual especially when there is a pair involved. The squabble, clean area in tank, move rocks, etc but do keep an eye on it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I noticed my clownfish has a small white spot at the mouth area for the past 3-4days. I'm not sure what it is, though I'm pretty sure it's not white spot as there is only 1 spot.

I'm not sure if it's just a small skin tear or is it some sort of bacterial or fungal infection? Or parasite? Water parameters are good. nitrates now only maybe 0.5ppm. ammonia 0.

Pics are not very clear but any idea on what it is potentially? And also, if I should just leave it alone or should I start treating it with something?

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
Is the clown living in there? If so, it likely just bumped its chin on one of the slots.
Jay

OP
OP
dtdream

dtdream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool thanks guys, I think I'll just let it out of the isolation tank today and continue to monitor for a few days.

Is the clown living in there? If so, it likely just bumped its chin on one of the slots.
Jay
Nope I only put it there yesterday for observation and take photos.

My other clown is living in there though (with a divider). And for the past couple weeks, I fed into the isolation tank and food slips through the slots. And this bigger clown is quite aggressive in feeding, and keeps bumping at the slot areas to get to the food which slips through. So yea my suspicion is also that it bumped its chin. But I wasn't sure and even if so, just worried that the cut or whichever it got turns into an infection. And that maybe I needed to do something about it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok cool thanks guys, I think I'll just let it out of the isolation tank today and continue to monitor for a few days.

Nope I only put it there yesterday for observation and take photos.

My other clown is living in there though (with a divider). And for the past couple weeks, I fed into the isolation tank and food slips through the slots. And this bigger clown is quite aggressive in feeding, and keeps bumping at the slot areas to get to the food which slips through. So yea my suspicion is also that it bumped its chin. But I wasn't sure and even if so, just worried that the cut or whichever it got turns into an infection. And that maybe I needed to do something about it?
Fish can often fight off external bacterial infections. Increasing lesion size and/or redness are signs that the infection is winning. Also, multiple issues are common- where the fish has two unrelated issues at once. Watch for rapid breathing or decrease in appitite.
Jay

OP
OP
dtdream

dtdream

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can often fight off external bacterial infections. Increasing lesion size and/or redness are signs that the infection is winning. Also, multiple issues are common- where the fish has two unrelated issues at once. Watch for rapid breathing or decrease in appitite.
Jay
ok gotcha. the lesion (if it is) is not getting larger nor is there any redness. will leave it alone for now and hope it heals on its own.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back