Slimmer pump in vs out

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figuring there’s enough space inside the sump, is a skimmer typically more efficient when the pump is not inside the body like the space saver skimmers that have the pump inside? For comparison, let’s say the same brand, size body and pump skimmer in space saver style vs normal pump outside the body.

Blitheran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you look at brs videos they talk about skimmer. Space savor vs not. And the difference is the pump on the outside of the skimmer will allow more contact time with the air bubbles and tank water which will be more efficient in removing undissolved organic waste

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally can't stand the space savers. Yes they serve a purpose, buy you will need to service the pump from time to time. Removing the whole skimmer to do that, is a royal pain.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a little more efficient outside the body, but IME its not all that substantial. They still have bubble plates and you are only losing an inch or two of contact area. I run a Reef Octopus 200 space saver, and it has been one of the top performing skimmers I have had. One beating it was a recirculating one and ones it has beat are ATB cones and vertex Omega. I would likely buy it again even if I didn't need the space.

Cleaning is a bit more a pain in the a, but not all that bad. Its more complicated if you want to service just the pump, but I have always performed a full cleaning on all the skimmers I have had whenever I feel the need to clean the pumps. Given that most skimmers nowadays can have the body taken apart, there is only a couple extra steps. It probably adds 2 minutes to my cleaning time.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a little more efficient outside the body, but IME its not all that substantial. They still have bubble plates and you are only losing an inch or two of contact area. I run a Reef Octopus 200 space saver, and it has been one of the top performing skimmers I have had. One beating it was a recirculating one and ones it has beat are ATB cones and vertex Omega. I would likely buy it again even if I didn't need the space.

Cleaning is a bit more a pain in the a, but not all that bad. Its more complicated if you want to service just the pump, but I have always performed a full cleaning on all the skimmers I have had whenever I feel the need to clean the pumps. Given that most skimmers nowadays can have the body taken apart, there is only a couple extra steps. It probably adds 2 minutes to my cleaning time.
I have a reef octopus space saver 150 and I hate taking the top off to drain the skimmate, it’s ridiculously hard to get off. I won’t buy one again just because of that.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octopus space saver 150 and I hate taking the top off to drain the skimmate, it’s ridiculously hard to get off. I won’t buy one again just because of that.

I'm using the Regal space saver, the clearance is like 1/2" it just sits on top help in place by a silicone o ring. But yeah there are some poor designs out there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back