slow growth... why?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. i have a 32 gal AIO tank. Up until last week, i had 4 lps and the rest of the corals are softie frags. My tank has been up for nearly 5 months now and the growth on my zoas, 2 mushrooms, toadstool, kenya tree, and even my gsp is stupidly slow.. something is off. Also, i say up until last week because 2 of my lps died for no reason (hammer and torch) and the remaining 2 lps i sold off before they die, so now my tank is 100% softies

Yesterday I found out that might salinity might be at 1.028, could that be the reason?

Alk 8.6
nitrates 3-10
PO4 was around 0.02 last i checked, been trying to get it up from 0 for a couple of weeks now

I only have 2 clowns and a dotty back in the tank + CUC.

I am slacking on water changes because of RODI water shortage. Could my minor and trace elements be low? Should i try reef trace or reef plus by seachem?

Please help, any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
High salinity is a factor as would be low alk, ph and nutrients.
What test kits are you using?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Your po4 is pretty low. I aim for .1

Also i noticed when my pH is at 8.45 sps polyps look extended the most

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. i have a 32 gal AIO tank. Up until last week, i had 4 lps and the rest of the corals are softie frags. My tank has been up for nearly 5 months now and the growth on my zoas, 2 mushrooms, toadstool, kenya tree, and even my gsp is stupidly slow.. something is off. Also, i say up until last week because 2 of my lps died for no reason (hammer and torch) and the remaining 2 lps i sold off before they die, so now my tank is 100% softies

Yesterday I found out that might salinity might be at 1.028, could that be the reason?

Alk 8.6
nitrates 3-10
PO4 was around 0.02 last i checked, been trying to get it up from 0 for a couple of weeks now

I only have 2 clowns and a dotty back in the tank + CUC.

I am slacking on water changes because of RODI water shortage. Could my minor and trace elements be low? Should i try reef trace or reef plus by seachem?

Please help, any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks !
Anyone else with ideas?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat similar situation as you. I have a 32 gallon, 7 months old, lps and sps, and everything is just staying alive, not thriving or growing.

I saw another thread on this forum (I'm sorry i can't find it right now, but it is very recent) about how high ph really promotes coral growth and coloration. I just got my order of kalkwasser so I will try to bring my ph from 8 to about 8.3 or 8.4, really hoping to see improvement then. Thats my plan anyway. But you might want to check on effects on corals with high ph, seems to be something there.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat similar situation as you. I have a 32 gallon, 7 months old, lps and sps, and everything is just staying alive, not thriving or growing.

I saw another thread on this forum (I'm sorry i can't find it right now, but it is very recent) about how high ph really promotes coral growth and coloration. I just got my order of kalkwasser so I will try to bring my ph from 8 to about 8.3 or 8.4, really hoping to see improvement then. Thats my plan anyway. But you might want to check on effects on corals with high ph, seems to be something there.
Exactly same here! They are merely surviving, even that is a bit much since i lost all my euphillia for no apparent reason.
I might start dosing AFR purely because i dont do WCs as often as i should be doing, and i think my trace elements are depleted. My alk is at 8.6 which should mean that my Ph is within normal limits but who knows..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back