Slow Motion Tank Crash

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am experiencing what feels like a tank crash in slow motion.

My SPS are all slowly receding/dying. Some LPS that have been bulletproof are also dying or are very grumpy. The tank is about 7 months old now, though originally I had quite a bit of beginner SPS that was either growing great (stylo), or at least encrusting and surviving (some acros, milles). I lost a few SPS but chalked it up to tank maturity - but this time it is different, this is the first time some pretty standard LPS are also now dying off, and the SPS that *were* thriving for many months are suddenly on their way out as well. Everything is STN from the tips or receding slowly at the base.

The stats:
  • Alk has been steady for months at 8.1-8.3 with an Alkatronic and automated Triton core7 dosing.
  • Corraline is growing incredibly well, all over the place.
  • Pod population is healthy - mandarin is fat and wrasses stay busy. See pods on glass and in sump regularly.
  • No3 and PO4 are stable at 7-8 and .12-.14, respectively.
  • Recent ICP tests are pretty normal other than very high iron (I dosed this too agressively to try and save my Chaeto, I think).
  • No issues with algae, cyano, or dinos. Sand is beautiful and white, tank looks great. Fish are all doing super well, Tang Gang keeps things clean.
  • Inverts are good (multiple shrimp, urchin, 2x anemone)
Lighting is handled by 2x ATI Straton, flow is 2x Tunze 6095 and an MP40. Not dosing anything other than the Triton core7. Not running GFO. Running GAC in a small reactor. Filtration is a Clarisea 5000 and Deltec 1000i. I've performed a 30-35% water change every 2 weeks now for the last 6 weeks. No help. Have not been running any UV.

Really haven't made any changes or messed with the tank in a while. RODI water is testing at 0 TDS and 0 Chloramines.

My theories, all pretty flimsy at this point:

• Something in my RODI. I thought it was Chloramines but those seem to test zero. Water changes haven't helped anything, but I can't say they are hurting. I have mostly ruled this out, at this point.
  • The elevated Iron. RHF seems to think Iron isn't that harmful but perhaps mine is simply way too high? Triton ICP had it at 37ug/l. This was before all the water changes, it is probably much lower now - coral still declining.
  • Overskimming? The deltec 1000i is overrated for my tank, maybe it's pulling too much good stuff out? Coupled with the very efficient Clarisea, maybe there's just not enough of something in the water.
  • Allelopathy? I have quite a few Zoas, a toadstool...they are doing well. I am running GAC. ???

I'm stumped! By all accounts, the tank was doing great and all indicators (corraline, pods, fish) are also great. But the corals are all very much on the decline, albeit a very slow one.

IMG_7369.jpg

OP
OP
Toob

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regularly double check Alkatronic/Mastertronic results with Hanna checkers. I am confident that parameters are not the issue (or at least that they are testing correctly).

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regularly double check Alkatronic/Mastertronic results with Hanna checkers. I am confident that parameters are not the issue (or at least that they are testing correctly).
Have you tested for a cracked heater/stray voltage? Had that as a problem before and didn't notice as I always worked in rubber gloves or with rubber soled shoes.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had something similar happen to my tank, but was with fish deaths.

Took months and couldn't figure it out. Mostly all smaller fish. Ended up taking the tank down before anything super rare died.

Super frustrating. Had in-depth water analysis. Changed cleaner products for the house. Checked stray voltage. Looked for signs of aggression.

Nothing...

OP
OP
Toob

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested for a cracked heater/stray voltage? Had that as a problem before and didn't notice as I always worked in rubber gloves or with rubber soled shoes.

I get a little "stray" voltage but it's the normal, safe induced kind (after doing some reading). Not the shocking kind. Fish are also super healthy and behave normally. Heater looks good.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with ICP-OES is that it can mostly detect when parameters are too high, rather than too low.
I suggest doing an ICP-MS test, oceamo offers such a test for both your tank and your RODI water.

My current thoughts are between contamination (hand cream, deodorant, rusty magnet), Vibrio or bad bacterial diversity.

One thing you could do but would also set you back is to use Chemiclean, it is anti-bacterial and may help freezing the current state and stop the STN, however it will also affect your bacterial population.
If you are leaning towards this solution I highly recommend getting a live rock from another established tank to put after treatment to replenish your bacterial diversity.

OP
OP
Toob

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with ICP-OES is that it can mostly detect when parameters are too high, rather than too low.
I suggest doing an ICP-MS test, oceamo offers such a test for both your tank and your RODI water.

My current thoughts are between contamination (hand cream, deodorant, rusty magnet), Vibrio or bad bacterial diversity.

One thing you could do but would also set you back is to use Chemiclean, it is anti-bacterial and may help freezing the current state and stop the STN, however it will also affect your bacterial population.
If you are leaning towards this solution I highly recommend getting a live rock from another established tank to put after treatment to replenish your bacterial diversity.

Thanks - I will look into an aquabiomics test and Vibrio, these are new suggestions - much appreciated.

I actually have added rubble from several local reefers over the last few months, all with good tanks. I think my diversity is probably good, but perhaps I introduced something bad. My tank, including the SPS, was doing great for many months, so at one point my biome was fine enough for basic SPS, at any rate. Something definitely "changed" a month or two ago when all of this began.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't for your LPS reacting to it as well I would suggest to look for AEFW bite marks, they affect Acros exclusively and essentially invisible. Another way to test for AEFW is to look for their eggs at the base and to try to blow them off the tissue using a small pump.

But as I said, the fact that your LPS are affected as well makes me think it is something else.

Hoping for the best, keep us updated

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back