Slow starter

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my name is Ryan and I live in southern PA. I am completely new to saltwater. I have a 75 gallon that is cycled, but I’m waiting to add fish until I get back from an upcoming vacation. I have a couple of questions. I’ve seeded the tank with pods and have been feeding phyto daily. Was seeding pods before getting anything else going a good idea? Is there anything else I can get started before adding a fish? I’m interested in starting with a pair of clowns and an anemone. What are the best beginner anemones that will host clowns? Can I put the anemone in when I add fish?
Welcome!

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5890.jpeg

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Welcome to the reef. I discovered this forum as it seemed to always come up when I googled a question. Finally joined, then chose to become a supporting member and later a partner member to keep the forum available for others to come. My wife @Ocean_Queenie and I started culturing copepods and phytoplankton eventually selling some on here as a hobbyist. Eventually we decided to try to make a career out of it so we are now sponsors as well. I love the Reef2 Reef community here and the wealth of knowledge. Thanks for joining us.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hello, my name is Ryan and I live in southern PA. I am completely new to saltwater. I have a 75 gallon that is cycled, but I’m waiting to add fish until I get back from an upcoming vacation. I have a couple of questions. I’ve seeded the tank with pods and have been feeding phyto daily. Was seeding pods before getting anything else going a good idea? Is there anything else I can get started before adding a fish? I’m interested in starting with a pair of clowns and an anemone. What are the best beginner anemones that will host clowns? Can I put the anemone in when I add fish?
Adding pods during the cycle is always a great way. As for adding an anemone I see and read in here all the time to wait. Our LFS gave us that advice as well. I think we waited a couple of months from setup. At the time I cycled with fish, but large tank with one or two fish. We added a pair of clowns and a bubble tip anemone around the two month mark in bot of our two first tanks in 2021 and both sets are still going strong. I started with dry rock and live sand and dosed aquavitro seed (basically seachem stability for the first week) and did a really consistent job of weekly water changes.

OP
OP
ryany25

ryany25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding pods during the cycle is always a great way. As for adding an anemone I see and read in here all the time to wait. Our LFS gave us that advice as well. I think we waited a couple of months from setup. At the time I cycled with fish, but large tank with one or two fish. We added a pair of clowns and a bubble tip anemone around the two month mark in bot of our two first tanks in 2021 and both sets are still going strong. I started with dry rock and live sand and dosed aquavitro seed (basically seachem stability for the first week) and did a really consistent job of weekly water changes.
Thank you!

OP
OP
ryany25

ryany25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was installing the hose holders for the FX4 over the rim of my tank, one of them snapped the glass pretty hard. Upon inspection I saw a long crack running across the back glass. So I set that tank aside and went and got another one. Today I took a closer look at it and it isn’t cracked at all. The “crack” is simply some strings of silicone that got all over during manufacturing. I scraped it off with a razor blade. Now I have two 75 gallon tanks…..

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
When I was installing the hose holders for the FX4 over the rim of my tank, one of them snapped the glass pretty hard. Upon inspection I saw a long crack running across the back glass. So I set that tank aside and went and got another one. Today I took a closer look at it and it isn’t cracked at all. The “crack” is simply some strings of silicone that got all over during manufacturing. I scraped it off with a razor blade. Now I have two 75 gallon tanks…..
Now the endless possibilities of what to do with the second tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back