Slowing down flow at night- does anyone do it? If so, do you notice any differences in growth?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked an expert about this as his corals grew very naturally. His response was he does not believe that corals need rest at night but encouraged the pumps to ramp up to 100% every hour during the day. So this is the process I will be following once I add my first corals

Definitely not about coral resting, it is all about the corals capability to catch some foods (microscopic or tiny living things).

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think varied movement through out the day and night is best. The more varied, the more food is kept in the water column. As long as you are not tearing the flesh off the corals the more food in the water column the greater the chance corals coral will capture food. I am more inclined to shutoff skimmer for an hour while feeding then reducing water flow. If you are direct feeding then shut off all water flow for an hour. I had read where people say they want to give their fish rest at night, most of my fish sleep in the rock work except my clowns sleep right next to a Jebao WP60 running full blast.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that his is per hour estimate counting wave pumps and return. Based on my pumps I have about 60 times system turnover per hour or about 65 times display volume. About 1200 gallons on return and 4 wave pumps about 5,000 each. I know there are people over 100 times an hour.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that per hour or per day ?
Its an SPS tank. Per hour. When all my pumps run at 100% there is 16,000 GPH in a 210G. That is actually 76X turnover. This does not include the 1200GPH return pump.

Last edited:

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that his is per hour estimate counting wave pumps and return. Based on my pumps I have about 60 times system turnover per hour or about 65 times display volume. About 1200 gallons on return and 4 wave pumps about 5,000 each. I know there are people over 100 times an hour.

I cant find anything that says the WAVs put out 5000GPH. The claim is 4000+. Not trying to argue but I have three WAVs and a single PP-20, the jebao at 5300GPH max blows the WAV's out of the water at 75%, or 3975GPH. REgardless, you have a lot of flow too. :)

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so many factors here. I guess we all agree that the tidal currents are just as strong at night as in the day.
And so are the big oceanic streams. What can differ is currents produced by the waves. Or is there other kinds of streams. Produced by thermal differencies from sunlight? Or in another way?
The question will then be: How big is that part?
Well that is different in different places. But generally I think it´s a small part.
Or am I wrong?

cjclaflin1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At night i change the wave mode on the wave maker to a constant ramping up and down wave versus pulsing during the day. I do turn down speed by 50% only because the constant flow seems to be a bit stronger and a lot of my lps dont like it too much stronger but during the fay i pulse at 100% to give them a swaying motion and point wavemaker towards surface of water always to create a better flow in the tank

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have my most flow at night, I have my two biggest power heads on a timer to be on when my lights are off. My pulsing Xenia, and some of my euphilias wouldn't open good in a lot of current, so I have less flow when the lights are on and the coral are fully extended and more flow at night when the lights are off. Just my personal preference tho

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thermals and thus the winds dies down at night resulting in the waters being calmer, unless there is a storm of course.

I still have normal power at night on my pumps though, mainly for oxidisation and gas exchange which is still required at night by my tangs.

I do believe in general all reefs will on average have calmer waters at night due to reduction of thermals which is known to drive wave patters along with the gravitational pull of the moon.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slow down my DT flow at night. Not sure if it is doing anything for the corals but my fish seem to like it as they could relax in their resting spots. Each fish has a place that they like best. During the day my currents are set to random flow so they changing every couple of hours during the day. So at night I like to give them a brake so they are not fighting the changing currents. Kind off how we use feed mode when feeding. My corals and fish seem happy and healthy. As for scientific proof, none at all, just that most of my corals retract at night anyways and the fact that the moon light does not carry or produce much for photosynthesis I don't think or would not think it would do much for growth one way or another. Just my observations.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I slow down my DT flow at night. Not sure if it is doing anything for the corals but my fish seem to like it as they could relax in their resting spots. Each fish has a place that they like best. During the day my currents are set to random flow so they changing every couple of hours during the day. So at night I like to give them a brake so they are not fighting the changing currents. Kind off how we use feed mode when feeding. My corals and fish seem happy and healthy. As for scientific proof, none at all, just that most of my corals retract at night anyways and the fact that the moon light does not carry or produce much for photosynthesis I don't think or would not think it would do much for growth one way or another. Just my observations.

Well folks. This has sparked a thought in my mind. I think we underestimate how informidable the ocean is compared to our tanks. I have now stopped night mode. It's only been a few days but I will tell you that my corals have better polyp extension than before, some who never showed polyps even at night are now doing it all the time. My LPS get blasted too, if they can't handle the flow I presume they're unhealthy. For those that mention currents below the surface remaining strong, I have no knowledge to support you, but agree, and recent evidence regarding the linear relationship between flow and alkalinity further support this idea. I believe in that discussion they review current speeds which were well above what we see in our tanks. With that being said, they can handle the flow, why not give it to them when they depend on it.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know why I quoted you lol. Freud made me do it.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks. This has sparked a thought in my mind. I think we underestimate how informidable the ocean is compared to our tanks. I have now stopped night mode. It's only been a few days but I will tell you that my corals have better polyp extension than before, some who never showed polyps even at night are now doing it all the time. My LPS get blasted too, if they can't handle the flow I presume they're unhealthy. For those that mention currents below the surface remaining strong, I have no knowledge to support you, but agree, and recent evidence regarding the linear relationship between flow and alkalinity further support this idea. I believe in that discussion they review current speeds which were well above what we see in our tanks. With that being said, they can handle the flow, why not give it to them when they depend on it.

I'm glad you are getting better polyp extension. I base my flow experience not from owning tanks (only 2 months now) but the Countless days and nights I have been in the ocean. Glad you're getting good results

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you are getting better polyp extension. I base my flow experience not from owning tanks (only 2 months now) but the Countless days and nights I have been in the ocean. Glad you're getting good results

When I get things where I want them I'm going to compare some frags based on this forum. Just transitioned to a grownout system and still getting things around for a bigger display. Might be a while, but I'll be back with it. I think we too often think of our tanks as what we'd like. Sure, I'd like a break in the middle of a heavy current, but that's what fish love. I remember Paletta discussing fatty fish livers in lower flow tanks vs the healthy fish that have to deal with higher and likely more natural currents.

biga1106

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about for the fish ? Is it better to leave it alone and not change flow at night or slowing it down ?

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about for the fish ? Is it better to leave it alone and not change flow at night or slowing it down ?

Better. They'll find places to sleep with the current they want. Look up articles by Mike Paletta and I'll see if I can find it. They did necropsies on fish and noted those from lower flow tanks had fatty liver disease (unhealthy) while those from high flow tanks did not.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better. They'll find places to sleep with the current they want. Look up articles by Mike Paletta and I'll see if I can find it. They did necropsies on fish and noted those from lower flow tanks had fatty liver disease (unhealthy) while those from high flow tanks did not.

Around 21:30 he talks about it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back