Small Bubble Surrounding Clownfish Eye

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

Yesterday I picked up 2 Snowflake Clowns from my LFS. They have been very active, also have had their fair share of fun riding the waves from circulation pump.

This morning I noticed one of them has a very small bubble on/surrounding one of its eyes. This is my first saltwater tank (previously only did freshwater) - I just want to make sure everyone is healthy. Please see the pictures below, I am hoping this is just an injury that will heal on its own?

Let me know if you guys need any more details or video, please help!

Thanks,

IMG_0374.jpeg IMG_0375.jpeg IMG_0376.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning,

Yesterday I picked up 2 Snowflake Clowns from my LFS. They have been very active, also have had their fair share of fun riding the waves from circulation pump.

This morning I noticed one of them has a very small bubble on/surrounding one of its eyes. This is my first saltwater tank (previously only did freshwater) - I just want to make sure everyone is healthy. Please see the pictures below, I am hoping this is just an injury that will heal on its own?

Let me know if you guys need any more details or video, please help!

Thanks,

IMG_0374.jpeg IMG_0375.jpeg IMG_0376.jpeg
Looks like either gases /air or what may have stemmed from an injury. Hard to see with the lighting, dark in blue but should subside on its own. If it gets cloudy/infected, treatment in a separate tank will be with Maracyn, not maracyn oxy for at least 5 days

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like either gases /air or what may have stemmed from an injury. Hard to see with the lighting, dark in blue but should subside on its own. If it gets cloudy/infected, treatment in a separate tank will be with Maracyn, not maracyn oxy for at least 5 days
Gotcha, I will keep an eye on him. Unfortunately, I don't have the facilities for a QT tank, so I'm really hoping it will heal without any medication. Thanks for the help!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a freshwater treatment mainly for goldfish. These fish are already in salt- Would make no sense to add epsom - Be careful what you read
Copy that. I thought the same at first as I have dosed epsom salt for swelling when I had freshwater tanks. I did quite a bit of research and found that this has resolved swelling issues for marine fish as well.

I gave it a try - we will see what happens.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal can you provide any insight? :)

Yes - Epsom salts is purely a freshwater tonic that has gotten misapplied to marine aquariums. Magnesium sulfate is the fourth highest salt in our mixes, adding a little more does nothing to help the fish. People who use it and say it works are just seeing the case where the eye issue resolved on its own. This is one of those myths that just won't die. It DOES have some benefit in food as a purgative to expel protozoans.

Maracyn (Erythromycin) in a quarantine tank is one option, but if the fish is eating well and not showing other symptoms, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I did see in the video, something that looks like it could be this though:

Jay

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - Epsom salts is purely a freshwater tonic that has gotten misapplied to marine aquariums. Magnesium sulfate is the fourth highest salt in our mixes, adding a little more does nothing to help the fish. People who use it and say it works are just seeing the case where the eye issue resolved on its own. This is one of those myths that just won't die. It DOES have some benefit in food as a purgative to expel protozoans.

Maracyn (Erythromycin) in a quarantine tank is one option, but if the fish is eating well and not showing other symptoms, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I did see in the video, something that looks like it could be this though:

Jay
Thanks so much Jay. As mentioned above,I don’t have the facilities for a quarantine tank. My nano only has 2 clowns in it (one of them being the infected one) as this is a new tank. Would I be able to dose directly in the DT?

As for the bruising/lesions, I did notice that… I will keep an eye on it. Thank you!

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown with bubble eye disappeared - checked the "sump" (back chamber) and couldn't find him. This morning the swelling on his eye was worse. Stepped out of my apartment for a couple hours, and when I came back, he was MIA.

I will look more when I have time - I just wish I knew what did it. I haven't really seen the 2 of them face off, but who knows what happens when I'm not looking. At this point I am hoping my other snowflake was the cause of this :(

My other clown is still alive and well (eating, active, etc)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Jay. As mentioned above,I don’t have the facilities for a quarantine tank. My nano only has 2 clowns in it (one of them being the infected one) as this is a new tank. Would I be able to dose directly in the DT?

As for the bruising/lesions, I did notice that… I will keep an eye on it. Thank you!

I have dosed DTs with erythromycin (to control cyanobacteria) but never in a reef tank, only in fish-only tanks.

Jay

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed DTs with erythromycin (to control cyanobacteria) but never in a reef tank, only in fish-only tanks.

Jay
Good to know - it is a fish only tank but unfortunately it's too late. Going to mark this one in the books as a learning lesson.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back