Small, cheap, and "strong enough" stand for 7.5 gallon tank using 1"X2" lumber and a lot of glue. . .

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have a small frag tank I want to make a small stand for. . . plan is to use 1"X2" lumber (think it's $2 a board right now), a single piece of plywood, and a lot of wood glue (maybe some dowels). I plan on "doubling up" all the lumber making the legs and supports all effectively 2"X2". This will allow me to make overlapping joints without making Dado cuts (as I don't have the tools or patience for that right now). . .

tank is 7.5 gallons and "sump" would probably be a 2.5gallon rimmed tank.

I am pretty confident that this would hold just fine as I have used 2"X2" lumber to hold more weight in the past. . .

tank stand 7.5 gallon.png

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a small frag tank I want to make a small stand for. . . plan is to use 1"X2" lumber (think it's $2 a board right now), a single piece of plywood, and a lot of wood glue (maybe some dowels). I plan on "doubling up" all the lumber making the legs and supports all effectively 2"X2". This will allow me to make overlapping joints without making Dado cuts (as I don't have the tools or patience for that right now). . .

tank is 7.5 gallons and "sump" would probably be a 2.5gallon rimmed tank.

I am pretty confident that this would hold just fine as I have used 2"X2" lumber to hold more weight in the past. . .

Are you sharing your innovation, looking for input, other?

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you sharing your innovation, looking for input, other?
I don't know if I would call it an innovation haha. Guess looking for input. Any alternatives that will be as cheap?

Also, this would be a more accurate side view, but note it is not to scale. . .

Last edited:

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only input would be not to use glue unless you are planning on milking the lumber yourself. 1x2 are pretty crappy for dimensions and finish so you will not get good right glue joints.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My only input would be not to use glue unless you are planning on milking the lumber yourself. 1x2 are pretty crappy for dimensions and finish so you will not get good right glue joints.
At first I was very confused haha but I think you meant milling? But no, I wont be doing the milling, so that is something to consider.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the top of the Cabinet Bigger than the Aquarium on all four sides. It will give you a place to set things down, and keep water from running down the sides of the stand. Just put multiple coats of Spar Varnish or Topside Paint on the top. I did this with my, 29 gallon Biocube Rescue, I actually wish I’d made the top bigger, but that’s the plywood, I had to work with.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, no reason to use the dimensional lumber on this stand. An entire plywood case would be just fine.

Your original plan of laminating one by twos to create half laps is a good one but overkill.

Plywood when used correctly can be very sturdy.

PXL_20221010_190847952.jpg

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lot of great ideas! Was at Home Depot today, but the dimensional lumber they had was pretty expensive, don’t know if it was a different type of board, but it was looking like four dollars per board so I held off. . .

I did construct this abomination today:

5C5A8574-BE13-40E1-9BED-3105BEB6A260.jpeg

Found this desk and piece of fiber board? For a grand total of five dollars. . . Don’t think I will be going with the stand as it kind of looks hideous ha ha but I had time to spare today and it was an interesting project

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, no reason to use the dimensional lumber on this stand. An entire plywood case would be just fine.

Your original plan of laminating one by twos to create half laps is a good one but overkill.

Plywood when used correctly can be very sturdy.

PXL_20221010_190847952.jpg

Quality post. And good plywood cut to size will usually square up better than framing lumber from the home center.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after some tinkering, I don’t totally hate my desk stand ha ha I took a piece of plywood and made it the shape of the original top, to retain that desk look. Then with the leftover ply made a shelf for a sump or canister:

FD9BC46B-E384-43F1-BFEA-2FDD833DD91F.jpeg

I still need to add a couple coats of poly on top, but I think it will work just fine and it isn’t totally hideous

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back