Small cracks an immediate concern??

tiptup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! We have had this tank (about 15 gallons but only filled to about 12) for about a year. I noticed two little cracks in the bottom right (front) of the tank. Is this an immediate concern? Something to monitor? Not a concern?

There is a bit more weight on the right side judging by the pad we have under the tank being squished a bit more than the left side. I’ll attach pictures of that as well.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Crack-1.jpg

Crack-2.jpg

Squish-Right.jpg

Squish-Left.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that the glass is cracked or is it silicone imperfections? If the glass is cracked, I would start the process of getting a new tank.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult to assess the seriousness of an aquarium crack from a couple of pics.

If this tank leaks into the room, how much damage will be done? If in the basement on a concrete floor, maybe not too much. If this is on the second floor, then maybe significant damage. This is important question to ask and remediate if serious risk to your home.

Also - will you be worrying about this crack? Factor in your peace of mind.

OP
OP
T

tiptup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure that the glass is cracked or is it silicone imperfections? If the glass is cracked, I would start the process of getting a new tank.
Thank you for your response! The top picture is my biggest concern. The second one could be just an imperfection. Is there any way to be sure?

OP
OP
T

tiptup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult to assess the seriousness of an aquarium crack from a couple of pics.

If this tank leaks into the room, how much damage will be done? If in the basement on a concrete floor, maybe not too much. If this is on the second floor, then maybe significant damage. This is important question to ask and remediate if serious risk to your home.

Also - will you be worrying about this crack? Factor in your peace of mind.
Thank you for your response! I can always send more images if it is helpful :D

This tank is on the second floor, yes, which is partly why I am so concerned. Some other forums seem to think this crack is not an immediate concern. Do you suggest I find a new tank now or should I just monitor this closely and if it gets worse, act immediately?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is a 15 gallon tank at Petco? $30 bucks? Why take the risk? This seems like an easy issue to avoid.

OP
OP
T

tiptup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is a 15 gallon tank at Petco? $30 bucks? Why take the risk? This seems like an easy issue to avoid.
Well, we live in Japan and a tank like the one we bought was much more expensive. We could always purchase a new one but if the crack was not as big of an issue as I feared, then we would put that off for now.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! We have had this tank (about 15 gallons but only filled to about 12) for about a year. I noticed two little cracks in the bottom right (front) of the tank. Is this an immediate concern? Something to monitor? Not a concern?

There is a bit more weight on the right side judging by the pad we have under the tank being squished a bit more than the left side. I’ll attach pictures of that as well.

Crack-1.jpg

Crack-2.jpg

Squish-Right.jpg

Squish-Left.jpg
If it is just a scratch, it's ok but if it is indeed a crack that has a place to proceed, it is an immediate concern. I would try to put some super glue in there for now, but get a new tank asap. Glass does not have much give especially with a crack in it. If it were my tank I'd see it as a ticking time bomb. I have a crack in my tank...my fault, but it has reached it's end. It has cracked as much as it can, so to me it's not an issue. But your crack has a place to go based on the pictures. Here is mine.
16278702026608123566050076971017.jpg

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would find a new tank ASAP as it the past what started out as a small crack for me on a breeder turned into a empty tank when I came home from work plus loss of live stock and a wet floor .

OP
OP
T

tiptup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just a scratch, it's ok but if it is indeed a crack that has a place to proceed, it is an immediate concern. I would try to put some super glue in there for now, but get a new tank asap. Glass does not have much give especially with a crack in it. If it were my tank I'd see it as a ticking time bomb.
Thank you for your reply! We will inspect it more to make sure it is a crack and if so, move to replace.

OP
OP
T

tiptup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would find a new tank ASAP as it the past what started out as a small crack for me on a breeder turned into a empty tank when I came home from work plus loss of live stock and a wet floor .
Thank you for your reply! It sounds like everyone agrees this is a bit of a risk. We will make sure it is a crack and then move forward with replacing it.

OP
OP
T

tiptup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does japan have a version of Craigs List or some social media marketplace? Look on there. Even a 20 long tank would work - hope you can find a used one cheap.
Thank you for the suggestion. We will look around. Japan has plenty of great second-hand stores so we will probably start our search there!

Samanthabea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of it as a windshield on the car it could stop but it could split all the way across I would definitely support the used tank idea

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crack-1.jpg

Crack-2.jpg

Squish-Right.jpg

Squish-Left.jpg
Yes, that is a concern and I would get another tank to replace it

Back